• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4th Semi-Annual Texas MV Rally

nofearnohope

I'm still good with BVORR, but would like to get to the other side of the trails. Each time we've been there it's been fenced off. Maybe I'll bring the fourwheelers next time to do a little scouting pre trail ride time.
I like the location, like the people, like the town WHOOP, just maybe change the scenery.....
I'll call Gen. Sam's and a couple of other place around central TX see what I can find out...

Lincoln, I really enjoyed meeting and swapping lies with your father last time!!!! He is a STELLAR individual!!!
Let me know what you find out as soon as you can. I will continue to try and make the helicopters a feature of this next rally, but need to have everything put together and submitted 3 months before the rally.

I know my dad has enjoyed coming to these rallies and hanging out and swapping lies with you guys as well.

OL AG '89

latest update for optional venue. I have tried to speak with a live person at Gen. Sam's for the last week. I have left several messages, but have not received a callback. I will attempt throught the end of the week and then see if I have anything to report.

Last edited:

OL AG '89

I FINALLY spoke with Sherry at Gen. Sam's offroad park today (5-27-11).
Here the scoop.
Weekend cost is $45 per vehicle so Friday, Saturday, Sunday with $5 additional per person for weekend.
They have BIG trails that the duece's and 5 tons will fit on, some trails don't know how many.
We can "set-aside" an area to set up camp if we desire.
They have a Helipad approved to land a Medi-vac, not hardened "not concrete", but available if we can get a bird to fly in. I think the issue becomes, in reading the requirement for a fly-in, that admission can't be charged to see the aircraft, but I think we get around that as it is a public venue, with a good number of people.
The area is 700+ acres with basic ammenities, including mud bogs for vehicles, ATV's, UTV's and dirtbikes.
My plan is to visit this weekend or next with my 09 and check out exactly what is offered and the condition of the trails.

I'm still game for meet in BVORR, but if anyone is interested that's the detail for Gen. Sam's

Jimbo442

New Guy in Spring, TX

Hey, I've been lurking around here for about a year now. Real excited to hear that you guys are considering General Sam's on a date I could actually go.

I'm out of town right now, but will be back in the beginning of July if you need someone to go do a recon of the area. Just let me know what you need to know.

OL AG '89

JImbo,
No firm plans for Gen. Sam's....
I haven't made it there yet, want to go check out the landscape, but 100+ degrees and travelling 90 miles in the 09 is rough..... I'm going to continue to attempt to get up there in the near future. The BVORR location is a GREAT site, also like coming home for the Ags in the group.. I offered up Gen. Sam's as an alternative for those further south and east in the state. Any place is a good place as long as we get good participation.......

ps. Welcome aboard!!

Jimbo442

Sounds good. I'm excited about any location/date in November in TX. I work overseas, so I haven't been around for any of the other rally's.

I have a Off Road Tacoma with all the creature comforts I use for recon, and General Sam's is less than 50 miles up the road. If you guys can wait till the beginning of July, I can save you the miserable drive to get on the ground information about the place.

OL AG '89

O.k. My update on visiting Gen Sam's in Huntsville.
The TEMPS too D*mn HIGH!!!!!
I have yet to venture the 50 miles in the 09 to the area.
I'm trying to get up the guts to travel there and back in 100 degree weather w/out A/C.

I might go in the 3500 w/ A/C, but won't get to test the trails w/out towing a 4 wheeler .......
Any word on the goings on at BVORR??

Barrman

Funny you should post this today. I drove by BVORR yesterday and started talking to Jennifer about how nothing has been decided for the fall Rally. Thanks for bringing this thread back up because I got busy and forgot about it already this morning.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interested if work allows. I just started working on mine after picking it up yesterday from GL. It needs some work before it is ready for the road.:)

nofearnohope

I talked to the owner of BVORR today and he said that far in advance, all weekends are open. I was looking at the weekend of Nov 18-20 or Dec 2-4. Let me know what ya'll think about staying at BVORR and those weekends.

niferous

Ok this time I'm really going to make it. It will be cold though so I plan on sleeping in the truck with a heater!

Are they cool with campfires?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok this time I'm really going to make it. It will be cold though so I plan on sleeping in the truck with a heater!

Are they cool with campfires?
Heating the back of your truck with a HEATER is probably a better idea than building a CAMPFIRE back there. The FLAMES could damage your CARGO COVER, and the SMOKE would make it difficult to breathe back there... At least until your CARGO COVER burns away. Once the CARGOD COVER is gone, you could use the BOWS for additional FIREWOOD, and the SIDEBOARDS and TROOP SEATS could then be FIRE FODDER as well.

To answer your question:
Are they cool with campfires?......

Probably NOT.... The back of these trucks typical get pretty HOT with all that wood and canvas burning back there.

:doh:rofl:cookoo:roflauarofl:twisted:

Attachments

Barrman

We have had big camp fires for the first 3 Rally gatherings. On the ground. Last fall, it got really, really cold. Nothing makes the bed of a M35 warm besides some kind of carpet/insulation on the floor is my belief as well.

What exactly did you have in mind there Cooper? We have always had kids running around finding critters and getting stuck in the mud. Plus, sitting and watching Clint at the "Cooking window" is always good entertainment. I am sure Colton and Allen will bring their guitars again too. They seem to do pretty good with request.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks