• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4x4 CUCV Preparations

TCUCV

I am going to be putting on a 4" lift w/ 36" tires underneath my M1008 . . . but thats not all it takes when rolling these beast in the woods. Just wondering what are some the most beneficial add ons everyone else has done to prepare their truck for 4x4 adventures.

I'm looking at doing some fender trimming and building some custom rock sliders down the road. I'll be posting some pictures of the lift as soon as I get it on...:mrgreen:

Matt65

Not sure what 36" tires you are considering, but the 37" Hummer radials can be had for a good price. ~ $70-100 / pc.

Mohawk Dave

Hey TCUCV,

I know you saw my M1009. No lift with 37s, just trimmed fenders. Go with a lift if you want of course, but it is not needed. No lift will keep your center of gravity down, but Obviously a 4" isn't stupid huge, so do what you want, it is your truck after all.

I personally think they look great with the 4" lift.

Good luck w/ all you do. And I will keep posting pics of mine for you as requested. :beer:
I will also do a video for you guys. And make sure you do the same:grin:

-Dave

TCUCV

Not sure what 36" tires you are considering, but the 37" Hummer radials can be had for a good price. ~ $70-100 / pc.
I'm running a set of 36" hummer radials from www.bergtires.com about the same price @ 90+% tread

As for the rock sliders, Peterson's did some nice ones on their M1008. I think am going to make mine the same way they did.

1986 Chevy 1-ton Army Truck - Chevy Brand Pages - 4-Wheel & Off-Road
Unfortunately my friend and I dont have the tools or skills to bend metal so we're going to attempt the easier route with a 2x4 pc and 45% cut the ends towards the truck.

Hey TCUCV,

I know you saw my M1009. No lift with 37s, just trimmed fenders. Go with a lift if you want of course, but it is not needed. No lift will keep your center of gravity down, but Obviously a 4" isn't stupid huge, so do what you want, it is your truck after all.

I personally think they look great with the 4" lift.

Good luck w/ all you do. And I will keep posting pics of mine for you as requested. :beer:
I will also do a video for you guys. And make sure you do the same:grin:

-Dave
Hopefully I can get some pictures and videos going . . . I've been waiting to get this project started for a couple of months.

Thanks for the advice everyone

colelkhunter

i also did a slight fender trim to get 37's to fit and not rub. I added a m101a2 bed to my m1031 and LOVE IT! Added an arctic camo paint job and called it done. I do have an offroad design "easy inch" for the front springs that I ordered for something else, that will be added when it dries out a bit. Now all i need to do is add my winch bracket to the front.

TCUCV

Sounds like a sweet set up there, post up some pictures if your able . . . well I just ordered my rough country lift kit and after talking things over with a couple of friends I decided to go with the 3/4 ton 4" lift, steering stabilizer, and 56" springs in the rear. I almost was going to order blocks and just heard to many horror stories. I'll post some pictures of the wheels, tires and lift as I get them...

TCUCV

Where at? I am interested.
Check out pirate4x4 under the vendor section maybe . . . theres a guy selling 37's with 90% tread all day long . . . he quoted me $530 for a set of 5 37" tires shipped to me!!!

I've been trying to decide which route to go

Last edited:

Mohawk Dave

How much and where are you guys trimming the fenders to clear the larger tires? Anybody have a link to some pics or templates?
DTL, We went right above the lip. I do not rub even at full bump/steer. Here's 2 pics, one with the marker line and one with Roy plasma cutting.

-Dave

Attachments

rednckii

if bought bought a kit for the 3/4 ton your going to have to get yourself a set of u bolts for the front the dana 60 has a u bolt and two studs unlike the 44 which uses two u bolts i have a 6 inch with 37s on my 1008 with the 4 inch you should be ok with just a drop drag link or pitman arm

TCUCV

if bought bought a kit for the 3/4 ton your going to have to get yourself a set of u bolts for the front the dana 60 has a u bolt and two studs unlike the 44 which uses two u bolts i have a 6 inch with 37s on my 1008 with the 4 inch you should be ok with just a drop drag link or pitman arm
Cool, would I be able to use the same u bolts on the front that are on now? Or is it better to just get a new set?

rednckii

cucv u bolts

whenever your doing a lift always get new u bolts especially when going bigger in lift the spring pack is usually thicker then the stock ones so it is deffintly recommended that new ones are uses so you dont stretch or strip out your old ones cause you may not b able to get a full nut on them when tightening

DokWatson

Hey TCUCV,
A lift isn't just about clearing tires to look cool. Its about articulation and fitting large tires for ground clearance. Wider tires will give a wider stance to help resist the tendency to flip over. Not driving like a moron is the biggest safety factor anyways.

Anyways, don't forget to check your driveshaft after the lift. If you can see splines with the tires in the air, its too short. Check your brake lines at the same time, if they get pulled on, get longer ones. I would also look into a good quality set of off-road shock absorbers. Stay away from drop pitman arms and raised steering blocks, they just band aids.