• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4x4 not working

partime

I just bought a 85 blazer CUCV and got stuck in my front yard in only 3 inches of mud due to the front whells not turning
frist i put it in park
2nd I turned The Hubs to lock
3rd pulled it into 4low
4th in drive.....nouthing but rear tire spin
5th in 4H still only rears
No noise No grinding just nothing

Where should i start? PS This is my first 4X4

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Lock both hubs, leave transfer case in 2wd, spin the front driveshaft by hand and have a helper see if one of the axle shafts is spinning. If one is spinning, take that hub off and see if there are any broken parts inside. Its possible its just not engaging due to dried up grease and just needs to be cleaned up like mine did when I first got it. Should take about ten minutes if it only needs to have the dried up grease cleaned out.

Keith_J

New to the sight....Not got the hang of the TM,s yet....Too many numbers lol..:-?

TM 9-2320-289-10 for the operation manual. TM 9-2320-289-20 for the "shop" manual. You might need the -34 for the more advanced stuff, the last 2 digits are the level, -10 is operator, -20 is unit maintenance and -34 are direct support/depot.

The hubs are covered in the -20.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Are you already stuck and just now trying to engage it?

or are you trying to put it in now to test it after getting unstuck?

IIRC, the front wheels have to go a revolution or two to engage the hubs to provide the 4 wheel drive. So basically, you have to plan on getting stuck prior to getting stuck, LOL.

Where in GA are you??

kenny

The first thing I would check before I evin bought it was to see if it still had a front drive shaft,I have seen a few sold with out them at car lots

ida34

Are you already stuck and just now trying to engage it?

or are you trying to put it in now to test it after getting unstuck?

IIRC, the front wheels have to go a revolution or two to engage the hubs to provide the 4 wheel drive. So basically, you have to plan on getting stuck prior to getting stuck, LOL.

Where in GA are you??
I think you are talking about the old auto engage hubs. Manual hubs are engaged as soon as you turn the dial if they are working correctly.

partime

Thanks for the reply..Got stuck tried to engage no luck..Waited for ground to freez and then pulled out in 2wd......At the dealer right now they said they would fix it for free...Have fingers crossed!!!!!!:!:

partime

UPDATE!!!!!!! Got my m1009 back and it works like a charm...The tech. said that the nut that held the wheel bearing on was inverted
and that kept the driver side hub from ingaging......Lucky me free repair.:lol:

4bogginchevys

glad you got it fixed, i'm still trying to figure out how an inverted(backwards)nut would cause hub failure....if it was off the spindle and laying there than that makes more sense...:p