• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4x4 vs 6x6

ICONchad

So this year I'm planning on getting two trucks for a film to carry our gear and crew around in and I'm on the fence on whether the 4x4(1079) will be ok or if I should go for the 6x6. It will mainly be used in the desert southwest. One truck will be used for equipment and editing area the other will be for kitchen/living space.

What considerations would require the 6x6?
Ride comfort/turning radius/ fuel mpg compare between models?
is the 6x6 overkill if your not carrying a massive load or pulling a trailer?

any suggestions/insights would be great. I'm leaning towards the 1079 just because we could modify the van and have an easier starting point than having to start from zero on the 6x6 and custom making a van for the back.

thanks

Chad

snowtrac nome

not going to make a decision for you here is what I considered before making the decision to go with the 4x4 lmtv. The mtv will have more payload which I may not use for that extra payload I will get an extra axle to maintain extra drive shaft and extra set of tires I will someday have to replace. there are some situations where traction might be enhances and likely when lightly loaded a lighter footprint. I didn't feel the pros were worth the cons in my case just to tote around tools fro road stability the longer wheelbase of the 6x6 is attractive but in tight situations that can bite back maneuvering in tight quarters. In my opinion a 6x6 is un necessary unless your loads are big and you need a little extra stability. Its your mission these are the things I considered for mine.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So this year I'm planning on getting two trucks for a film to carry our gear and crew around in and I'm on the fence on whether the 4x4(1079) will be ok or if I should go for the 6x6. It will mainly be used in the desert southwest. One truck will be used for equipment and editing area the other will be for kitchen/living space.

any suggestions/insights would be great. I'm leaning towards the 1079 just because we could modify the van and have an easier starting point than having to start from zero on the 6x6 and custom making a van for the back.

thanks

Chad
SsMember South has one for sale in Cookeville TN. 931-239-2761
IMG_29491.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Jeeperjoe

thanks

Chad
simple question but can be overlooked, will the driver have a class B license? the truck has a GVWR above 26k lbs so according to the department of transportation it is a class B truck...

"Gross vehicle weight rating” (GVWR) means - the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of asingle vehicle.
Untitled.jpg

i would go 6x6 but i dont ever plan on loading to that weight nor do i need to maintenance and expense of a 6x6 so its 4x4 for me in my book anyway

coachgeo

.... I'm on the fence on whether the 4x4(1079) will be ok or if I should go for the 6x6. It will mainly be used in the desert southwest. ...
I too would say for desert/Sands go for 6x6 esp. since you won't have lockers easily available to add on. Your expected use is about only situation where 6x6 seems best. Also well-versed person in maintaining the CTIS. 6x6 from reading in here will get few mpg less.... but then again these rigs only get about 7mpg as it is so it won't change you by much.

Last edited:

buffalorunner

The consideration to have a 6x6 for better "off road ability" in sand, is quickly negated if you happen to have 2 trucks which have the ability to pull one another out. The ability to add lockers is now a possibility as well with a member on the forum selling them, which would make the 4x4 that much more capable.

SS member Duckworthe seems to be enjoying his LMTV (4x4) in the sand. He also has a great build with living quarters on his Overland truck.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-camper-in-the-Glamis-dunes-Thanksgiving-2016

On a side note, the truck pictured may not serve your purpose as you described unless you put a s-280 fully enclosed shelter (or camper, built box, etc) on the back. The "topper" shown utilizes the truck bed as a floor (non-insulated sheet steel), and has significantly less insulation and live in capabilities as it was designed to be a secure area to store equipment.

Last edited:

ICONchad

Thank you everyone for the info, I really appreciate it. I use to have a Unimog 1300 so i'm comfortable with a truck of this type and I'm not just jumping in cold feet. I still have a lot to read and learn about them but I think I'll be ok. Sourcing parts they seem to be a million times easier than the mog.

Jeeperjoe: Ya I looked into the commercial drivers license stuff, doesn't seem like the end of the world to get it for myself but having the whole crew (5 including me) get a class B license would be an added pain. One concern is the state and smog rules with a commercial vehicle. I'll have to move my address to a friendly state, unlike here in CA where it would be impossible to have these as commercial trucks. The mog I skirted the issue by having it personal and as an rv but I don't think it would work rolling thru the border with 2 of these full of gear and getting away with it.

s-l300.jpg
Whats the van on the 1079 called? Duckworthe has a cool camper but I was leaning towards the van on the 1079 so we wouldn't have to custom build a whole system and instead just do the interior on the van. I was looking thru the 1079 manuals at TM 9-2320-365-20-4 at the mounting hardware, does the 1083 have the same subframe and mounting hardware like the 1079 has that way the van could just be moved over or would all that needed to be added to the 1083 frame?

Last edited:

coachgeo

View attachment 661756
Whats the van on the 1079 called? Duckworthe has a cool camper but I was leaning towards the van on the 1079 so we wouldn't have to custom build a whole system and instead just do the interior on the van. I was looking thru the 1079 manuals at TM 9-2320-365-20-4 at the mounting hardware, does the 1083 have the same subframe and mounting hardware like the 1079 has that way the van could just be moved over or would all that needed to be added to the 1083 frame?
1079 uses the s280. M1083 would mount an S280 in the same way, same mounting kit

UPDATE..... stand corrected. Similar boxes but 1079's flex mount box mount system is not what appeared to be an S280 with a special chassis mount kit but actually a special complete box as indicated deeper in this thread.

Last edited:

Johno176

Actually the M1079 uses a box that is specifically built to be directly attached to the frame of what would be a M1078 without the bed. A S-280 box is made to be placed in a M1078 bed and tied down. It will also fit in the bed of a M1083, M1082, M1095.

coachgeo

stand corrected. Previous discussion elsewhere had my convinced the box on the 1079 was an S280 utilizing "chassis mount kit" where the other kit shown in above pic was a for bed mount applications. There are three tie down kits on a respected gov. item auction site (3 kits in one lot). From this discussion appears these must then be the bed tie down type in above pic.

Is there a Chassis tie down kit as well? If so does anyone know the NSN or other number for it?

Last edited:

Augi

The mog I skirted the issue by having it personal and as an rv but I don't think it would work rolling thru the border with 2 of these full of gear and getting away with it.
If you are talking about crossing the border into Mexico you should look up their policies about military vehicles. My understanding is that you will not be allowed to cross with a vehicle painted military colors. 3-color camo would be obvious, but maybe you can skirt by with sand since it's a solid color...

Augi

ICONchad

state borders with commercial trucks, right now I have a small box truck that can be a nightmare to deal with certain states(arizona) because we are carrying film gear thats not being used to carry goods or people. So I'm in the middle of all the rules and it all depends on the officer and their mood..