• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4x4ing the deuce?

KVFC_241

Hi, i've always liked the looks of the shortened dueces and have been thinking about doing this to my truck. I have looked around and have read that to do this you can use 105 trailer springs, or front springs off of a duece or a 5-ton. Is it possible to use the original springs already on the truck? I have a 105 trailer to use as parts. Do you just remove the springs and hangers from the 105 and reatatch them onto the duece? Does anyone have any pictures of the rearend of the truck while doing a conversion like this? Also any information you have on doing something like this would be appreciated. Thanks, Kirk

Alexander

RE: 4x4ing the duece?

So is there a consensus about using M105 Springs, hangers, etc versus a set of springs and mounts from a donor duce. I have/own both options but am not sure about which would be a better way to go. I’m thinking that the 105 parts would attach to the axle further out reducing axle twist (in the same direction as the driveshaft) but would require blocks on the axle to raise the frame in order to make the truck level. Any comments or suggestions?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: 4x4ing the duece?

Alexander said:
So is there a consensus about using M105 Springs, hangers, etc versus a set of springs and mounts from a donor duce. I have/own both options but am not sure about which would be a better way to go. I’m thinking that the 105 parts would attach to the axle further out reducing axle twist (in the same direction as the driveshaft) but would require blocks on the axle to raise the frame in order to make the truck level. Any comments or suggestions?
I believe we have decided the springs you want to use are Deuce front springs, as they are rated for more weight than the 105 springs.

jatonka

RE: Re: RE: 4x4ing the duece?

The front springs mounted under the rear are great for added flex if you rock crawl and they allow you the option of installing a rear steering axle. The M105 trailer springs are great if you are looking for a more stable ride on road. Yes you will need spacer blocks to level the truck, if you use M105 springs and hangers. As far as which springs are rated higher, I don't know but they look about the same and I take the helper springs and main leaves as a unit and install on my JATonka trucks. The helper tabs mount easy enough. This truck runs straighter down the road than my front spring modified truck does by a little.

Blythewoodjoe

RE: Re: RE: 4x4ing the duece?

I put about 500 miles on my truck for the NC rally and I was very pleased with the ride. I have the front type spring holders on the rear. It cruised at about 61 MPH with the XL 14.5 radials. It drives a lot like my 86 ford. Takes effort to keep it strait ahead. Not too bad and that my be play in the front end. My old truck (M35) didn't have any play in it that I recall but since I usually drive fords I am used to poor performance.

At 60 MPH it is a job to keep it on the road. It feels like 160 MPH but it is an old large truck. I couldn't imagine driving one any faster.

DMgunn

Re: RE: Re: RE: 4x4ing the duece?

Blythewoodjoe said:
but since I usually drive fords I am used to poor performance.
I usually drive GMs so I am used to waiting for a tow so I can get yet another fuel pump installed.......... :roll:

halftrack

When you use the front deuce springs for the rear, do you turn them around and switch sides or do you mount them just the same way as thye were mounted on the front?

Blythewoodjoe

I put the fixed holder at the front just like the front axle. I think everything I have ever seen has the shackle at the back of the vehicle. I don't know if there is a reason for that or not but I suspect forward motion is better that way.

jatonka

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 4x4ing the duece?

The Sasquatch Santa truck doesn't use front springs in the rear. They are M105 trailer springs with helper springs. I'm sure cause I built it.

halftrack

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 4x4ing the duece?

jatonka said:
The Sasquatch Santa truck doesn't use front springs in the rear. They are M105 trailer springs with helper springs. I'm sure cause I built it.

Do you have any detail photos of this. I am currently helping my bro in law in building one and want to do it right

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks