• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5.9 Cummins and Allison Swap M1008

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How do you mean they're hard to find? I can help you lay hands on as many as you need.

As to the wiring. Yes, the OD sector is enabled with a switch. There's also the TC lockup as well. That all can be handled with relays and switches on the throttle.

ODdave

dont even mention a allison 545. they are terrible trannys, they have no lock up, the converters are very inefficient, they just flat out suck. I had 3 of them and couldnt even get 100.00 for them! plus with a 1-1 final ratio, your better off keeping the th400 just beacause of size alone.
I wouldn't jump to say they are a junk trans. They have clocked many hard earned miles on them. The last on i sold I got $1300 for with the cummins adapters. The guy installed it in his 92 dodge 250. Called me a year and a half later to tell me it was the best thing he has ever done to the truck and absolutley loved it as he hauls very heavy loads with it and only cruises about 60mph. The lower first gear also helps upon take off. You may be able to biuld a dodge trans to take alot of power but it will not last as they are not rated at %100 duty cycle like an allison. Now i am not saying that a 545 will hold 800ft lb's of torque like a biult 46rh, but used within its factory limits, It will outlast your truck.

OP, For your particular aplication it is NOT the best choice though. The dodge trans with a mild biuld and a good TC will serve you the best.

EF-5

Haha I forgot about that! Once I sell my bike I'll be hitting you up. I read something about Hobbs pressure switches and what not? Would that be a reliable solution?

I am still pretty new to this, definitely have never done a swap before lol. So how would the relays and switches on the throttle be hooked up?

cmor1200

One other thing you need to think about, the transfer case's froward drive shaft from a dodge is on the other side, compaired to a chevy(I think). I've been planning on putting a cummins in my suburban.

ODdave

One other thing you need to think about, the transfer case's froward drive shaft from a dodge is on the other side, compaired to a chevy(I think). I've been planning on putting a cummins in my suburban.
You can bolt a 241 from an older dodge in place of the drivers drop case. Or find 205. heavy though

EF-5

Yeah I read that the np205 will be on the correct side. It seems to the most popular. If I understand correctly it will bolt directly to the back of the 47rh. And I don't plan on modding the Cummins at all. I just want a powerful stock engine, be able to cruise at highway speeds, and just have a truck that will last a very long time as well as pull things around when I need it. I'm just trying to find away around the electronic overdrive. It's already been done, but I have to choose a method.

I used the gear calculator and came up with some good numbers:

This is with the 5.9 Cummins, 47rh (4 speed overdrive), np205 (doesn't matter want transfer case is adapted), axle ratio of 4.56, and 37" tires.

ROAD SPEED AT GIVEN RPM
1571RPM (In fourth gear overdrive)= 55mph
2000RPM (In fourth gear overdrive)= 70mph
2286RPM (In fourth gear overdrive)= 80mph
2750RPM (In fourth gear overdrive)= 96mph
2875RPM (In fourth gear overdrive)= 100mph

Would it be pushing the Cummins to hang around 2200 RPM? It seems like you could achieve good passing speeds for a few seconds in those higher RPMS. Especially if the Cummins is governed at 3200rpm-4000rpm.

Thanks for all of the replies!

EF-5

Alright so after a little reading I found that some people have put the 47rh behind a 5.9 Cummins using these kits:

Dodge 727 Transmission Swap to 518 Transmission from PATC, 46RE 47RE 48RE

Does this sound like a good option? I'm guessing I'll just need to buy the non deluxe version PATC kit. Apparently the 518 is the same the 47rh.

You can also select what speed the torque converter locks up at and when the overdrive is engaged. Out of the two choices they give you, which one would be best for this application.

They have some good reviews!

ODdave

FWIW, If i where you i would go with the dodge trans. I spoke with an allison rep today........Not looking good. I told him what i want to do (5.9 w/p-pump + allison 2200) and he made a few phone calls. When he called me back he said Allison/detroit information is proprietary and is not avaible for release to the public. Said he could not release the info i needed because allison dose not support non-factory authorized swaps:(. He made shure to let me know he was very sorry that he couldnt help me, which I truly belive as it sounded like my info was on the tip of his tounge.

I myself am not going to give up but I also have a large amount of experiance with auto electrical. This would be very over whelming for a beginer.2cents

EF-5

Yeah I decided not to go with the Allison lol. I should rename this post 5.9 Cummins and 47rh. After everything I have read it seems like a very good choice. I don't plan on modding the motor, but if I did the 47rh it can be easily made to withstand a modded Cummins.

The only thing electronic on the 47rh is the overdrive and torque converter. That's what I'm working on now. You can easily put toggle switches on both, but I'm not sure if I want to keep flipping switches lol. PATC makes a kit for $85 that automatically engages the torque converter and overdrive. However, the switches are based on stock tire size. I'm not sure what to do about that since I'm on 37's. They do give two different options though.

So the plans are 5.9 Cummins, 47rh with switches, and NP205. The numbers I ran through the gear calculator were great.

EF-5

So I think I decided to install two Hobb's pressure switches on the governor test ports on the passenger side of the transmission. I will then run these switches to a toggle switch (master switch) in the cab. The pressure switches will only be activated when the toggle switch is in the on position.

I also think it would be nice to have the ability to control everything manually depending on the situation. Therefore, I could have two more toggle switches in the cab that would control the torque converter and the overdrive individually. So when the "master switch" is in the off position I have the option of controlling OD and TC individually. However, when the "master switch" is engaged the other toggle switches will not have an affect.

Does this sound reasonable? It has been done by someone else and it sounded like a great idea. He has the wiring diagram and everything for this setup:

Full Manual 47RH - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

I need to know, however, my pressure at a given speed so I can set the pressure switches to the appropriate speed. How would I go about doing this?? (I've read it is 1psi per 1mph on stock tires, but I'm on 37's).

Also, if the pressure switches don't work out for me, does anyone think it would hard to switch OD and TC manually all the time (especially on hilly roads)??

Thanks again guys!