• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5.9 Cummins, NV4500, Hydro-boost, and Disc Brakes

einstein

So what transmission did you use with the cummins? If you had to do it over again would of you slid back the motor a little so you could use a mechanical fan? What clutch?

Matt

mudguppy

... Is that something you built yourself? I would love to have some info. on that. ...
thanks. the visor was built by Jim (aka cavemantrucks on here) - he did the bob work, lift, and body/paint... well, he built the truck, i just did the repower.

So what transmission did you use with the cummins? ...
NV4500 (thread title). it made sense to use it: it's strong(er), reliable, shifts 1000 times better, and i already had one.

... If you had to do it over again would of you slid back the motor a little so you could use a mechanical fan? ...
nah. it certainly would have been easier to retain the mechanical fan and not modify the headlight buckets, but it's a chit-ton of work to slide the driveline rearward given the cross members and rivets that are involved. besides, electrical is better than mechanical in just about every way. in this case, i've got better max flow rate, better warm-up time, variable speed (0 & 60-100%) at any engine rpm and hardwired reliability.

... What clutch? ...
i already had a southbend 500hp clutch that was in it from the Dodge donor, so i just kept that in there.

smoke

Awesome build[thumbzup] I just got done reading 19 pages. But you are miss somethingsnopics Of the lights in use. And a vid of u:driver: the beast u have created. I wish I had the time and researches do something like this maybe someday . Like they say the green iron is always greener on the other side of the fence.:beer:

mudguppy

Awesome build[thumbzup] ...
thanks.

been driving the truck quite a bit lately, basically as much as possible. i've been having some fuel system problems - i got a chit-ton of algae. so i've shocked the tank w/ enzymes and have been driving and changing filters a buch to run that crap out. filters were so clogged that the truck would no longer hi-idle. :roll:

other than that, i've been traveling for work about 85+%. so not enough time to do much other work when i am home.

still love driving the truck! the looks and waves are always fun. i was out running some errands yesterday and opened 'er up on an empty 4-lane divided highway - simply cruises at 80...

i'm getting ready to dive into Phase 2 - Hydraulic Winch conversion. i already have on-hand:
  • Hydraulic reservoir
  • Hydraulic motor
  • Motor adapter
  • Shaft coupler
  • PTO adapter (NV4500)
  • PTO air-shift kit
  • PTO pump
today i just ordered the control valve and trans oil. later this week i need to sit down and sketch out the hydraulic lines to order hose and fittings. will likely fit the PTO and pump on this weekend or next, depending on arrival of trans oil.
i'll probably start a new thread on the hydro-conversion - there's a lot of information and calculation about sizing the pump/motor relationship to match the performance of the original mechanical PTO setup. so look for that relatively soon (week or two??).

[thumbzup]

Sephirothq

I am very interested in seeing how your winch setup will turn out. I have a similar project i am working on adding a winch to a nonwich m36E3. It has the cat motor like the a3 does but not the trasmission or CTIS. I got the cat pump and the hydraulic motor and couplings and adapter from ebay.

Now i am looking for tank options, how to run the lines and a valve. What tank and valve did you use and where did you get them from?

m880 unimog

yes, deffo one of the nicest builds on site,great to hear your running her about and enjoying the fruits of your labours-does feel good dont it-[thumbzup]

mudguppy

... We need Pictures!!!!!
anything in particular?

... -does feel good dont it...
helz yes.........

... What tank and valve did you use and where did you get them from?
i actually got an A3 tank that i'll be laying in the bed. if i didn't get that, i was just going to use a 10 gal tank from Northern Tool (or a 7 gal?).

i just ordered a Prince valve: RD512EA5A4B1 - it's a motor spool valve. i had considered going with a RD513 as it uses 3/4" work ports. however, given the infrequency of using the winch, i decided the 1/2" work ports would be fine. i ordered it from Dalton Hydraulics - it won't ship for another week or so.

i actually intended to get a 2-spool valve since i plan to add a second winch for the rear, but spacing talked me out of it and i'll just add another 1-spool valve in the future.

hornetfan

I want to second Mendo's comments regarding the price of well engineered after-market components. I'm a mechanical design engineer and components I designed 30+ years ago are still on the market unchanged. I have NOT done a major rebuild/refit of a deuce, yet. I love doing my own R&D and manufacturing but there are times that it makes infinitely more sense to leverage other folks' efforts. The disk brake systems on all four of mudguppy's 2-ton 4x4 M35 truck courtesy of Differential Engineering's kit (a nice combination of sourced OEM parts for easy parts replacement and custom manufacturing of the attachment bits). It took the fellow awhile to get a kit together suitable for a 6x6 or 4x4 deuce because it was hard to get the parts strong enough -- he built, broke, rebuilt and broke again, until he had a disk brake strong enough for a fully loaded deuce 4x4 or otherwise.

And then he enhanced again at mudguppy's suggestion to make the rear kit a bolt-on rather require welding by the customer.

That's America IMHO.

Mudguppy's truck is well planned and well executed. The after-market stuff he used certainly appears to be well done. Excellent job by mudguppy as well as Diff Engrg. Could he do better on a second pass? Probably and so far as I can see mudguppy has already carefully pointed out and documented where those areas lurk in his truck.

This truck is certainly a cut above your typical "cut & try" project. Kudos are well deserved and mudguppy and Diff Engrg both deserve them. A snappy salute and sharply declared "Well Done!" seems order to my mind.

hornetfan

mudguppy

... Have you been able to calculate fuel mileage yet?
no - haven't put effort into this. while i don't think it would/could be any worse than the MF in this application, i don't believe that this would be a practical pay-off benefit to justifying the expense in the swap.

RangerRed

I wasn't looking at it from that perspective, I am just betting that the Cummins would net better fuel milege, even if it is only 2 MPG. I was curious to see how much could be had. Again, nice build, I actually saw some of your mods in greater detail today after I took a few minutes to clean the drool off of my monitor!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks