• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5.9 Cummins Re-power Question

Pinz25086

I have bought a 5.9 Cummins that was used as a fire pump motor with only 80 hours on the clock. The plan was to re-power my deuce. It is rated at 208HP at 2100. The engine is complete with starter, alt, fuel pump, turbo and engine control box. After I got it home and really looked at it, it looks like it is marinized and has a water jacketed exhaust manifold and a water to water heat exchanger. Now I am not sure that I want to drop it in the truck as I will have to change more engine components than I thought. What do you guys think, keep going or sell this one to someone looking for a marine engine and start the search over?

Verkstad

Marine style cooling is typical of firepumps.
And it may have a Hugh Jazz square oilsump, That can be a bugger to use in a vehicle chassis too.
Does it have 2 starters or at least provision for 2 starters ?
Just curious, Air and electric starter can be real nice sometimes.

Firepump is about the easiest life for a motor. Usually they have blockheaters thus never started from stonecold, Excersise timer to run the motor an hour or so each month, power is set much lower than what the motor is capable of to maximise reliability.

The choice to resell it is up to you, But I'd be hard pressed to say goodbye to any 80hr motorblock.

Jakob

Pinz25086

There is only one starter and see no other way to install another. It has a normal oil pan but I was planning to have to modify it anyway for clearance. I was leaning on an auto transmission but have not made up my mind. The heater for the engine looks like it heats the coolant and pumps it through the entire system. It is completely different than what is on my Dodge. The engine was built 05-11-2005 so it has run around 1.5 hours a month. It was not installed when I bought it so I have not actually seen it run but I have no reason to believe that it will not. I have turned the crank by hand and the oil looked almost new. The date on the filter says that it was serviced in May of 2009. I was told that it was removed from a hotel that was remodeled but can not confirm that as it was bought at an auction. I think that I will try and let this one go and then find another out of truck so it will less to modify. I live in Fl and there are lots of marine dealers in the area. Anyone here interested? PM me and I can send photos. It is on a pallet bolted down so it could be shipped via common carrier with most major freight carriers are close enough that I could drop it off at the terminal.

mahdey

Now i would assume this is a common rail 5.9 correct? if i were you i would keep the marine engine and swap over some parts, from a street truck onto the engine like the APPS and what not. A lot of us cummins guys will blow up our engines (not me yet) and swap in marine engines. They are way more durable then the standard engine though not as powerful. With your 208 hp engine, if its a common rail, then i would swap injectors from a street truck.

Jones

We're talking 12 valve here but when you stop thinking Dodge/Cummins a whole new world opens up to you. The 5.9s are also found in armored cars, UPS and FedEx vans and lots of Freightliner and Peterbilt box trucks.
The 5.9 engines take SAE bell housings that; accept a starter on either side, the ability to mate up to an Allison if an automatic is an inviting choice, and right below the IP, a place for a Bendix tu-flow 550 air pump with power steering pump.
In the commercial and construction parts lists you'll find several different charge air coolers to choose from as well as exhaust manifolds that allow for high as well as rear or forward turbo positioning.
You can put a mechanical tach drive on it in place of the oil filler tube and slap a valve cover on anyof six positions that has the oil filler cap there.
I'm tellin ya, kid... the sky's the limit.

Pinz25086

It is not a common rail engine. It is a 12 valve engine. I have had both a 12 and a 24 valve and really liked the 12 valve with a P7100 pump the best. I have been looking for a truck with an allison auto behind it for quite a while. I was told about this fire pump engine that was at a local auction by someone who was there. Did not have much time to look it over before the bidding started. Once I got it home I started to inspect it and realized that there are quite a few more items that would have to be changed than I first thought. I will be working on getting it fired up next week as time allows and then making a list of what needs to change before I make up my mind what will be the final out come with it. Thanks for everyone's input!

mahdey

well heck, being a 12 valve makes it even better. If i were you, and im pretty sure you already are, join cumminsforum.com. Like i said, a marine engine is just a better engine all around;better headgasket, pistons, cooling system etc etc. Turn up the pump and throw some 375 marine injectors and an HX40(i would get a BD super B) you will have a nice deuce that can hual ass when the zombies come for us.

rorybellows

if youi got it for a steal, id say sick with it. i believe the marine style diesels are a little more beefy than truck units. slap a meduim duty allison behind it, crank it up a bit and swap er in

mahdey

if youi got it for a steal, id say sick with it. i believe the marine style diesels are a little more beefy than truck units. slap a meduim duty allison behind it, crank it up a bit and swap er in

they are a lot better. For the sake of simplicity it would just throw in an NV4500 thats been gone through pretty well. Grab either a southbend dual disk clutch 3600 pound pressure plate or if you want to save money grab a 600hp single disc southbend or valair clutch.

sermis

I have 2 5.9's. One is going into a M715 and if the other runns it will go in the M35 with the Allison behind it. One motor is from a dodge PU and the other from a Kenworth box van. Parts will swap from motor to motor with out any problems. Dodge had a normal bell and normal motor mounts while the KW had an SAE bell motor mounts like the deuce. The motor from the Kenworth truck has heaver duty parts including injector pump that will make well over 300 hp. Before you just dump the motor do some research on it. If you know of an injector pump service near take a picture and go by and let them identify it. It might be a better pump than you think. The heaver IP is $1,500+. If it is governed they might even swap it for another pump free or cheap. They might even swap the injectors cheap if other injectors are needed. My injector pump place treats me really well from parts to advice. I don’t know why you would need the block heater, just don’t use it, I don’t see what it would hurt. If there is a metal scrap yard near go by and talk to the owner. Tell him you are looking for a 5.9 motor for extra parts. They get trucks in all the time with good motors or good parts motors. Even better is to find the worker supervisor and offer him $100 for a phone call when a motor comes in. He will call.
An 80 hour motor, no way I would sell it off unless the $$$ was really really good.

DavidWymore

The NV4500 is rated for 450#s tq. So far mine has held up wth twice that....but my truck weighs 1/2 as much as a deuce and has probably less than half as much traction. GVW rating is 14,500. I don't know how well it will last under hard use behind a hopped up Cummins in a Deuce.

Another note. My 4500 is fine when the truck is unloaded, but when I have a trailer on it and loaded heavy, there aren't enough gears. Going from 2 to t 3 and 3 to 4, I have o redline it so that it doesn't bog and smoke out the whole world at the bottom of the next gear, I would really like an NV5600.

You will def need a southbend clutch if you hop it up. Which reminds me. You may not be able to do the larger HD clutch with the 5600. Double check with SB.

Specs : Ram NV4500 Specifications

Ram NV5600 specs

Burgerboy13

I would actually get a G56 one out of 2003 to present dodge. They are actually a medium duty trans built for Mercedes trucks. I would get a new clutch though since dodge clutches are terrible.

Detonation

The G-56 has trouble staying in one piece behind high HP cummins though. The NV4500 and 5600 with an input shaft upgrade will live a long long life behind a 400-500hp cummins. The one consideration is that the 5th gear on the NV4500 needs a bit of work.

Burgerboy13

The problem with the NV5600 is that they didn't make them that long so parts are not easy to find. its a good trans just a little troublesome if something breaks. But either way none of the mentioned transmissions would break unless if he plans on building it to 450+hp and abusing the hell out of it.

DavidWymore

I was 22,800# here. I took it real easy. When I got on it a bit, she felt like she was threateneing to throw parts on the street.

I broke a 1410 series Dana 80 pinion yoke towing a crewcab Super Duty through rough terrain uphill. Driveshaft took out the fuel tnak on it's way out. Low speed 4lo, didn't get the clutch in quick enough when the towed veh ot hung up. If you play with fire, you're gonna get burned. :-D

My Dodge is a little over 400hp.

Deuce = low power, high weight. Dodge = high power, low weight put them together and I'm pretty sure you get BOOM!

Not to say you shouldn't do it or I wouldn't but you gotta be careful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks