• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5.9 or DT466?

1997 Cummins 5.9 or DT466, which is better in a school bus

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • DT466

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

Preacherboy

I am looking at some school buses for the church...they have many buses with the 5.9 and many with the DT466, which is better or doesn't it matter?

All the buses have between 103,000-117,000 miles and they run about $6,000 grand for either. Just curious if anyone has any experience or opinion.

rickf

Both are good motors and that is low mileage for them. Keep in mind that being buses they have led a stop and go life so oil changes would be imperative on a regular basis. What years are they? that is low mileage for a bus for sale.

Rick

jb31

the 5.9 is a great realible motor and does fair on mileage, just my opinion i have had a few and as long as the injector pump holds out they are great

Preacherboy

They are both 1997's, transit style. Our current church bus is too small, kids want to come to church and can't fit...so time to buy a bigger bus. These ones I am looking at are either 72 or 78 passenger.

Our current bus has around 150,000 miles and it is a 1990. It is an international, so it is probably a DT466. It gets its oil changed 1 time per year, but it is only run on Wed. night for about 2 hours. Only problems we have had with our current bus are rust issues, 2 years ago a brake line rusted out...luckly no kids were in it when the pedal got spongy. And then last year a frost plug blew out, we got an extra oil change because of that last year. But we need a longer one!

bratpackdad

Based on the year, I would choose the DT466. It's quieter and gets better mileage. However, the 1997 to 1999 is known for coolant leaks. Other than that, I think the 1997 is a good choice even if it was the first year of the electronics. The DT466 like all diesels must be maintained especially hauling kids. Don't skimp on the service checks, we're talking about kids not bales of hay. Most problems are a result of slack service. 2cents

Preacherboy

It gets checked over regularly, but I'm not sure how you prevent everything?

It had been raining here and our driver was backing up to turn around and went in the ditch (once again, no students were on the bus). I took the deuce over there and pulled it right out...I messed with driver and said if he can't drive a short bus there is no way I should buy him a long one!

rickf

If your old bus is a shorty then it is most likely a DT444, The same 7.3 as in Ford pickups. You say the new one is a transit bus? Is it rear engine? If so I am not sure they used the DT's in a rear engine. The pushers were mostly Detroits. Then again, I am not a bus expert.:???: Brake line rot is a common problem in areas where a lot of salt is used. Especially with a bus that only sees occasional use. The salt gets in there but never gets flushed out by rain or snow melt.

Rick

Nonotagain

If your old bus is a shorty then it is most likely a DT444, The same 7.3 as in Ford pickups. You say the new one is a transit bus? Is it rear engine? If so I am not sure they used the DT's in a rear engine. The pushers were mostly Detroits. Then again, I am not a bus expert.:???: Brake line rot is a common problem in areas where a lot of salt is used. Especially with a bus that only sees occasional use. The salt gets in there but never gets flushed out by rain or snow melt.

Rick
Somehow I doubt that International Harvester installed a Detroit Diesel in any of their vehicles for sale.

Most of the transit style buses offered by IH are still front engine.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I've had several of both over the years and personally...if I could hear them run/drive etc...I would pick the 466 every time.:)
Just had amazing service from them up to about 250K miles...then sold em off with no issues.

Now...the 444??? RUN!!!!!!!!!!!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1997? If it is, I'd do the Cummins, they run way better than the DT, but only if it is a mechanical engine. The ISB was introduced in 1998 but there were early release engines. If it is an ISB, do the DT. The VP44 will leave you stranded or just be a giant thorn in your side.

supermechanic

Dt 466 is one of the best mid size truck engines made, gets my vote.
I work with a mixed fleet of some 65-70 trucks, all types and makes, never had to make anything than minor repairs on the 466.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks