• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Kw Gen set identification

RWG421

I acquired this gen-set that runs great, but only puts out 110 volts.

The outlet looked to be aftermarket, so I opened up the module and someone had written on it “Bad Mod 1982".
So I assume it is the cause of the problem.

I can’t find a TM on it, and based on its condition I would hate to scrap it.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

Pre-1968 which means pre-Mobile Electric Power directive. But post-military standard gasoline engine era. What is the date of manufacture of the engine? Although that may not be conclusive...

OR might be a special purpose set. Federal Stock Numbers were pre-1975, superseded by NATO Stock Number (NSN).

Isaac-1

Like was already mentioned it is pre MEP, it may be something relatively rare, part of the reason that the MEP program was started is the DOD realized they had no standard method of buying generators resulting in the logistical nightmare of trying to support hundreds if not thousands of models ( I recall reading it was something like 2,000+ models at one point) of generators, some bought in very limited numbers as support equipment. In this case it seems to be some sort of 120V single phase only 60 hz generator mated to a 4a032 4 cylinder military standard engine more commonly found on the 3KW MEP-016a/c, and its near identical pre MEP predecessor.

Ike

RWG421

Great information thank you. So it looks like a member of the "logistical nightmare" club.

Do you think it worth trying to unpot the module and revers engineer a rebuild?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like was already mentioned it is pre MEP, it may be something relatively rare, part of the reason that the MEP program was started is the DOD realized they had no standard method of buying generators resulting in the logistical nightmare of trying to support hundreds if not thousands of models ( I recall reading it was something like 2,000+ models at one point) of generators, some bought in very limited numbers as support equipment. In this case it seems to be some sort of 120V single phase only 60 hz generator mated to a 4a032 4 cylinder military standard engine more commonly found on the 3KW MEP-016a/c, and its near identical pre MEP predecessor.

Ike
This is from the Nov 1970 issue of PS mag, conversion of old to new numbers (MEP).
Merry Christmas

Attachments

PeterD

I'm confused, you say it puts out 120 volts, as it is designed for, what is the problem with it? Or am I misreading your initial post? :?

panzerwillie

I had two of those units few years ago, they had DEUTZ diesel engines and one was perfect and put out 130 volts could loaded up to 55 amps on the load bank, the second one the ROTOR and diods where burn, had it rewind and if i remenber i use a new style voltage regulator and got the same results , yes there are only 110 A/C volts and was quit big and heavy for 5KW unit,but keep in mind they can run 100% at full load for ever something that honda will not do, if there is no voltage adjustment, you may be able to run the engine a little HIGHER on RPM on the govenor which may bring up the A/C volts pass 120 volts. or the voltage regulator maybe bad, if you find the field wires you can tested by hooking it up to 12 volt battery see if the voltage goes up it that case you can replace the voltage regulator which you where closer would take it from you and play round with it, good luck:D

PeterD

Only puts out 110-109 volts, It won't power up things that a 5k should. ( That my 3500 honda can)

Couple of questions:

1. Does the motor 'load' down when trying to run a higher loads, or does the voltage just droop to a very low value?

2. Is there any control panel on the set, and/or a voltage adjust control?

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 4 3kw units with that motor but a much differant control box and they are 3 phase or single. as peterD asked is the unit lugging down when you load it or just drooping in voltage?

RWG421

There are no exterior controls. Running at higher speeds has no positive affect on the voltage.

Voltage with the motor running at speed without load fluctuates from 109 to 111 volts.

Running a circular saw though a 2x4 the motor will respond to the load accordingly, and the voltage will be 109. Pushing the saw hard the motor will sound as if it’s under a heavy load, but not a near stalling bog. The volts will drop to 85 though.

As I stated before the receptacle box is not original and I’m not sure what the original configuration looked like. I have included pictures of the module that someone marked as bad.

Thanks all for the continued help.

Attachments

Isaac-1

Ok, this is just my $.02 for take it with a grain of salt, fist off the potted voltage regulator looks way too new to be original for a 1960's vintage generator, second of all in general the most common items to fail on electronic voltage regulators are the capacitors, therefore before going too far test/replace the big baby blue capacitor with the zip tie on it.

Ike

RWG421

So, based on what I described is it a good assumption that the issue is in the module? After all someone marked it bad in 1982.

Can this be replaced with new technology? Or is there to many variables to figure out without having the gen heads specs.

If thats a true statement I guess I will have to unpot the module and test the individual components.aua

Isaac-1

There are any number of questions that need to be asked before getting to the point of replacing the AVR, but chances are a modern replacement can be found, but without even a wiring diagram some guesses will have to be made, a few things tested, etc. Before getting to that though, it looks like it should be easy enough to dig out and change that one big blue capacitor, at least dig out the connection posts and connect in a replacement, assuming you don't have a capacitor tester, or multimeter capable to testing capacitance (some better multimeters offer this feature).

Ike

PeterD

I will give that a try. What is that capacitors function,and where would be a good place to look for a replacement.

Thanks

Function? Hard to say... Source: perhaps Radio Shack, or any of a bunch of online suppliers. Find the rated value, and I could find you a source for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks