• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Months in......

ntxcop

In September, 2012, I purchased my first ever Military Vehicle, an M923 5-Ton. I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into. Luckily I met up with a great group of guys at the MVCC of North Texas! They are a great group of guys!

Since making the purchase, I've read the TM's and downloaded the animated guides (AWESOME). I've had some ups and had some downs, but with every turn of a bolt, twist of a screw, and stroke of a paint brush, I've grown to love this big BEAST.

When I purchased it, a friend used his deuce to pull it to my house. Since then I've installed batteries, changed some air valves, installed the drop sides on the cargo bed, fixed the power steering, and painted the exterior of the truck.

Today, I traveled to Hooks, TX and picked up a new set of tires, as the treads on the BEAST are getting low. It was a long day that started at 07:00 hours (normally my bed time, as I work over night shifts). The drive from Fort Worth to Hooks was not too bad, took about 3 hours. It was my first time at Hooks and luckily, since me and my friend are both police officers, we were able to get on base (WITH our weapons) pretty easily. (I would not suggest trying to carry on base unless you are law enforcement.) The guy that loaded the tires on the trailer for us was VERY helpful. I really didn't realize just how big these tires are. The are about the same diameter as the ones on my truck, but the are about 4 inches WIDER. The loader used a fork lift and was able to put 2 tires in the bed (with our assistance) and then load the two pallets of tires on the trailer, and move one tire from a 4 stack to the other pallet with only two tires to balance out the load. The drive home was uneventful (Thank you LORD) and we were able to pull/push the tires off the trailer and roll them to my truck.

I've got to switch out the tires but first I need to repair an air leak in the front rear axle on the passanger side (hope that makes sense) and then switch out the tires. There is an air leak I can hear inside the brake housing. I've read the TM's and think I know what the problem is. I'll find out when I tear into it next week. I hope to have it fixed and have the truck 100% by the March MV Rally in Bryan / College Station next month.

I have pics of the transformation of the truck from day one until today, and I plan on keeping up with this post as I work on the BEAST!

I've said it several times, and I'll continue to say it, Steele Soldiers is the most AWESOME website I've ever seen on a specific subject. And you guys never cease to amaze me with your knowledge. I'm already looking forward to my NEXT military vehicle purchase!

Stay tuned and please be safe!

Keith

The first pic is what the truck looked like the day I arrived to pick it up!
Lot_Pic7 (800x600).jpg
The 2nd pic is of the deuce pulling my 5-Ton! Quite a difference in size!
CIMG0025 (640x480).jpg
The 3rd, 4th, and 5th pics are of the grinding and sanding done to prep the truck for paint.
CIMG0007 (800x600).jpgCIMG0012 (800x600).jpgCIMG0009 (800x600).jpg
These pics show the drop down sides installed and the finished paint job!
CIMG0021.jpgIMG_1698.jpg
These last two pics are of the tires just after being loaded onto the trailer at Hooks, and unloaded by my truck in Fort Worth! It was a LONG day!
IMG_1943 (640x478).jpgIMG_1953 (640x462).jpg

ntxcop

Yes Sir, she does. Plus she came with a hydraulic fluid reservoir and drive shaft/controls for a winch, but the winch is not there. I thought about removing the hydraulic reservoir and drive shaft, along with the controls in the cab. I haven't made up my mind yet on the reservoir, but I'm definitely going to remove the controls in the cab.

Mike, I've followed your posts and I've got to tell you that they are some of the MOST THOROUGH posts I've ever seen. You do an awesome job of articulating everything you've done and are doing to your trucks. I will never be able to be as thorough as you, but I do hope to make this thread similar to yours and keep putting my updates here, along with pics so everyone can follow!

ARYankee

Looking good! I love going to Hooks. My wife even likes going because she checks out all the MVs there as well. Were the tires in good shape?

goldneagle

Personally I would leave the controls and reservoir in place. Sounds like you got a Sea-Bee or Navy truck. If you want to sell those parts shoot me a price.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Sir, she does. Plus she came with a hydraulic fluid reservoir and drive shaft/controls for a winch, but the winch is not there. I thought about removing the hydraulic reservoir and drive shaft, along with the controls in the cab. I haven't made up my mind yet on the reservoir, but I'm definitely going to remove the controls in the cab.
Why not just add a winch???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks