• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 reverse gears one forward

jtrojan715

well i found out first hand today that a deuce motor Will run backwards!!!!aua
up in the hills with some friends (showing off) went up a steep bank killed it rolled backwards cought the clutch and it fired right up :shock: blew the intake cover that sticks out on the finder right off! shut it down waited a sec fired it up ran just fine cant belive how easy thies things bump start read that the do but man.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I did the same thing at the gate at Redstone in the M275. I had to shut it off while they did the entry inspection. When I hit the switch nothing.....it was on an incline so I let her roll back and I though it was in reverse...nope....had it in second...she cranked up and I actually drove it through the gate running backwards....made a quick U-turn...shut it off and then rolled it off in second...cranked right up and ran fine...still running fine....the guards could not believe it.

I also sucked a grease rag through the engine.....spit black pieces of charred cloth right out the exhaust.

Multi-fuels are tougher than woodpecker lips.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I also sucked a grease rag through the engine.....spit black pieces of charred cloth right out the exhaust.

:shock: Sweet. I know multi fuels will run on most anything, but greasy rags? That's going too far. Skip the WVO, just feed it fries, or chicken wings, she'll burn it and shoot the bones out the exhaust.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the same thing at the gate at Redstone in the M275. I had to shut it off while they did the entry inspection. When I hit the switch nothing.....it was on an incline so I let her roll back and I though it was in reverse...nope....had it in second...she cranked up and I actually drove it through the gate running backwards....made a quick U-turn...shut it off and then rolled it off in second...cranked right up and ran fine...still running fine....the guards could not believe it.

I also sucked a grease rag through the engine.....spit black pieces of charred cloth right out the exhaust.

Yep, another good call. Right up there with lacquer thinner.aua

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you could get them to though....

Would be good for rail service. They have old single pistion inspection cars, you would kill the ignition, flip a lever to reverse the timing, then on the very last compression stroke of the engine, turn the ignition back on and it would run in reverse, then you could go back.

Could get a deucomotive! all gears forward and back. Could you tie in an electric pump, like what lots of guys did for prelubers?

Been there, done that... Maybe we need a T-shirt.

Did that last year. Brother pulled the deuce into a tree and did a stall and an instant restart on the rebound, of course in the same gear. While he was looking to find what happened to reverse, I was looking at all the smoke coming from the hood. ( ??? )

Pulled the air intake and got a face full of exhaust. ( ??? ) Reached up and felt the J-pipe sucking air. ( Aha ! ) Killed the engine and restarted. All was happy.

Posted it and got a long letter on why the engine could not run backwards. Followed by a whole lot of people supporting me on how it could and did. They gave many of their own examples of deuces and other diesel trucks running backwards.

All I can say is if you own a deuce, there is a chance that some day you too may own a deuce that blows bubbles in the oil sump.

A

A/C Cages

Well running backwards is a great excuse the next time I forget which vehicle im driving and throw it into reverse instead of foward.
Why cant they make all transmission patterns the same? lol

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did that last year. Brother pulled the deuce into a tree and did a stall and an instant restart on the rebound, of course in the same gear. While he was looking to find what happened to reverse, I was looking at all the smoke coming from the hood. ( ??? )

Pulled the air intake and got a face full of exhaust. ( ??? ) Reached up and felt the J-pipe sucking air. ( Aha ! ) Killed the engine and restarted. All was happy.

Posted it and got a long letter on why the engine could not run backwards. Followed by a whole lot of people supporting me on how it could and did. They gave many of their own examples of deuces and other diesel trucks running backwards.

All I can say is if you own a deuce, there is a chance that some day you too may own a deuce that blows bubbles in the oil sump.

I was about to indicate that soon a whole bunch of shadetree mechanics were going to appear and explain with great specificity why the multifuel CAN'T run backwards. You beat me to it. I'm also on the shortlist of folks who have run their multifuel backwards. If any naysayers want to stop by with their title, I'll light mine up backwards so you can see!

bill2444

My old well rig had a 6v-72 Detroit, that didn't have enough low gears. Several times i have stalled it loose sand and on restart it would run backwards. Ran good but with a slightly different roar to the motor. Never hurt it. To this day it's still drilling in Africa somewhere. One of the old guys told me that sometimes when it was stalled and on a compression stroke at the right point in travel in the right cylinder when you pushed in the clutch to disengage from the load of the drive-train it would start the motor back up in reverse rotation.

I was about to indicate that soon a whole bunch of shadetree mechanics were going to appear and explain with great specificity why the multifuel CAN'T run backwards. You beat me to it. I'm also on the shortlist of folks who have run their multifuel backwards. If any naysayers want to stop by with their title, I'll light mine up backwards so you can see!
Amen to that! Let me know if it happens and I'll arange for some popcorn!

gomerkfx700

the key with our old mack trucks at work is gettin it choaked down were its loading up the turbo with fuel then when it kicks back its got a supply of fuel to burn built up in the exhaust and turbo. ive done it countless times. the old maxidyne 237 with the fuel cranked up will do it in a heart beat specially if you stick a new guy in it and he cant figure out the two pole tranny and cant get it into low range lol its always a kick to watch the new guy who thinks he can drive anything climb in like he is goin to tear up the world and then holler on the radio and ask why he has 5 reverse gears lol. and whats this other stick do ahh good times

ODdave

If you could get them to though....

Would be good for rail service. They have old single pistion inspection cars, you would kill the ignition, flip a lever to reverse the timing, then on the very last compression stroke of the engine, turn the ignition back on and it would run in reverse, then you could go back.

Could get a deucomotive! all gears forward and back. Could you tie in an electric pump, like what lots of guys did for prelubers?
Have to figure out some way to change the IP timming so you could get an equal amount of power in the ccw rotation.

Boy wouldnt this piss off a sprauge t-case !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks