• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 reverse gears one forward

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you could get them to though....

Would be good for rail service. They have old single pistion inspection cars, you would kill the ignition, flip a lever to reverse the timing, then on the very last compression stroke of the engine, turn the ignition back on and it would run in reverse, then you could go back.

Could get a deucomotive! all gears forward and back. Could you tie in an electric pump, like what lots of guys did for prelubers?
Thats how they did the old boats, before reduction gears. You had to time it just right though. If you misguaged it, you just killed your engine with the boat still headed for the dock!:shock:

Josh

We had a 1980s mitzubishi bulldozer start on us backwards. The ignition had broke so we where just jumping the starter with a screw drive and it kicked backwards and fired up. It was a dang hydrostatic drive so we couldnt put it in gear to kill it. Ended up having to cut the fuel supply line to shut her off.

Flyingvan911

I was about to indicate that soon a whole bunch of shadetree mechanics were going to appear and explain with great specificity why the multifuel CAN'T run backwards. You beat me to it. I'm also on the shortlist of folks who have run their multifuel backwards. If any naysayers want to stop by with their title, I'll light mine up backwards so you can see!
It's impossible for the multifuel to run backwards because the tachometer only runs forward. :cookoo: Lol.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When they start backwards, does the battery/alternator polarity reverse also? :p

Does the air compressor make vacuum?

Flame heater make cold air?

Sootgrinder

Some of the old 2 stroke dirt bikes would run backwards on you. If you it didn't fire when you kicked it sometimes the compression would spin the crank backwards with enough energy to start backwards. You poop a little when you let the clutch out and the motorcycle backs up!! I also had a kill climber quad start backwards while trying to get it safely off a hillclimb that I failed to top out. The thing ran over me super quick and drove itself to the bottom!!

stancanpara

Last year at the truck pull, they had the clay worked so well that I didn't spin tire at the end of the pull, it just ran down to a dead stop and as it bounced back that teeniest bit before I could push the clutch in, it started up in reverse....I didn't realize what had happened and was about to freak out when the motor started making a hellish racket and smoke started pouring out the intake, then the flag man said, "Hey Slick, it just started in reverse, shut 'er down and restart and you'll be fine." so I did and it did, and pulled off the track and has run fine since...

Later I found that ANY diesel WILL run in either direction unless it has special stop guards to prevent it...though, unless it was specifically designed to do so (oil pumps etc) it won't run for an extended length of time...how long that is I don't care to find out with my own truck... though if someone DOES find out, please let us know.... I'm sure EVERYBODY would be interested to hear about it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks