• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 solid lights on CTIS

Tonka truck

I'm fairly new to the forum, read a lot of post, but have not been able to find anything on CTIS 5 solid lights except that the EUC is dead. I hope that's not the case. Can anyone tell me for sure that the 5 solid lights means DOA. The CTIS worked fine the day before. No known issues. Thanks for any help.

Tonka truck

"Are you serious Clark?" I was hoping I might have one of the few working CTIS's. I hate to give up on it. Do you know if you can get a newer version ECU from Spicer or is this truely the end of CTIS days

74M35A2

I'm glad you have humor. Don't give up. Did you try unplugging its connector for a while? Also try pushing both red bottom buttons at the same time when it first turns on? Crank your air pressure up another 10-20psi. We are working on making this system easier to diagnose. Modules are present to be replaced as said above. Try a few things with yours first though. Mine has always worked well, so I luckily have not had to diagnose it yet, so I am not an expert there. Starters and alternators is something I do know a little about, the rest I am really just learning as everybody else is.

Tonka truck

I have tried all the plug and unplug, push 2 buttons and all types of button sequences. No luck. But funny you should say you know a little about alternators.
I just had mine burn up and had to buy a new one. Called all over the US and finally found the best buy in Miami FL. At least I hope it was the best buy. And I don't know to this day what happened to the old one. Someone had filled the connection cap full of silicone and that's where it toasted. Anything I should check to keep that from happening again?

74M35A2

The connections on the stock alternator uses 1800's technology. It is simply the wires stripped back then wrapped around a tapered post, and the cover pushes them further into this position in an attempt to hold them there. In the decades of doing alternators for OEM's, I have never seen this, or would expect it to last. This connection point becomes loose, the resistance goes up, and then it becomes a heater, and melts. Lots of this exact failure posted here.

Alternator replacement for these range from $89 to $400 or even more. $89 is a yesterday technology Chinese Delco clone, and $400 is a 130a 24v modern replacement with temperature compensated voltage regulator, twin internal fans, high temp rated electronics, and a 200,000 mile rating. The stock alternators have this terrible connection system, inadequate cooling if really loaded up (especially at idle), and no fail safe on the remote sense wire. This allows the over-voltage situation to happen if the truck is shut off in the wrong sequence, and subsequent failire of your ABS module, possible PCB damage, CTIS freak-outs, all that. Best way to fix the stock alternator is to throw it in the dumpster. Retain the pulley when doing so. 2 of the 3 holes will line up on a civilian replacement, and a third will need a 2" long spacer pipe section for installation, or conversion over to the civilian bracket for the same engine.

Apology for the derail of a CTIS thread.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks