• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton 10 x 10 ???

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone see the custom 5-ton truck in the classifieds of the most recent MVM? It was modified into a 10x10, with one front steering axle, a M814 longbed, and 4 rear drive axles, all mounted on what looks like 16.00x20s. Very interesting, I'd be curious to know how well it handles off-road and, above all, steers!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, saw that one and wondered about the steering. I get a lot of tire scuffing just turning the 813 on pavement, that thing must have the turn radius of a barge.

Cheers

M1075

Got any pics? I thought of doing that a few years back to an M814 but was concerned about the steering issue. Maybe wheel brakes would help?

rmgill

You could add a system to engage the right or left side rear drive axles for a bit of help like on German Halftracks... ;-)

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a local guy added 2 extra set of axles to the rear of a duece. he drove it all over. it was hard to turn and harder off road. was for sale like that for 4000.00 he moved an took duece with him

reuben

I've thought about the posibility of putting a pair of drive axles on a trailer and connecting a drive line to them, but getting the drive line around the corner on a tight turn would present a slight problem. That would only work good with a disengage slide at the front end of drive, and then only use it when trailer is strait enough. Probably not worth the effort of making it.

M1075

reuben said:
I've thought about the posibility of putting a pair of drive axles on a trailer and connecting a drive line to them, but getting the drive line around the corner on a tight turn would present a slight problem. That would only work good with a disengage slide at the front end of drive, and then only use it when trailer is strait enough. Probably not worth the effort of making it.
Search here for BIG DUMB TRAILER and you will see a similar project

BobS

reuben said:
It isn't a big deal to do-look at the info on a MK48 Marine Corps HEMTT. Sometimes known as the "Dragon Wagon"

These were articulated HEMTT's. You can also take a look at any articulated tractor (from the original Allis Chalmers 645 and others) for how the driveline was done. It ain't rocket science.

http://news.webshots.com/album/340356927GWGfnX?vhost=news

Best regards,

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks