• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton 6x6

bigmech

Can some one tell me what the towing rates are for my 1970 5 ton semi. I have a farmer that is interested in using it for a field to elevator truck. he needs the horse power rating also. I just started getting interested in the 5 tons and have no knowledge of their ratings. I'm sure there is a location on this site but would rather talk to one of you guys who has used the older 5 ton semi to really know what they are able to do.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The 800 series 5 tons have the Naturally Aspirated Cummins 250 in them....about 250 HP if you believe Cummins.
The M-818 Truck, Tractor has a towed load allowance of 37,500 lb.

818's are better suited to get a trailer to the hardball road and then let a road tractor get them to the final destination.

A M818 will pull a loaded grain trailer but it will not like it and it will be a slow trip........in muddy conditions it is somewhat better than a rear wheel only tractor but you can get them stuck...and they have a sprag transfer case...the rear wheels have to be spinning to engage the front axle...sometimes too late if you are in a bad spot.

There may also be issues with having enough air to the brakes and using the lights on a commercial trailer.

There are several members on here that are using the M915's to pull grain trailers and are having good performance with them.

I have sold two M915's to a guy that uses them for all types of farm related hauling and he loves them.

The M915 or M916 (has all wheel drive) would be my choice for a line haul tractor.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M818 5 ton Tractor Truck

Horsepower:
225 bhp @ 2100 rpm

Transmission:
5 spd. Manual

Electrical System:
24 volt

Tires:
11:00 x 20, 12 ply

Brakes:
Air over Hydraulic

Fording:
With kit: 78 inches/Without kit: 30 inches

Approach Angle:
45 degrees

Payload:15,000 lbs

Towable Load:
37,500 lbs.

Empty Weight:
20,290 lbs.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M818 has enough air, it was the Multifuel 5 tons that do not(in the TM).

I would use an M818 for anything up to 80K, if runs slow and short runs.

It will be slow, but it will do it.

NEIOWA

Would a M931 BMY work better for what he wants?

Any hundreds of M931A1 and A2 coming thru the system. CTIS of the A2 would be ideal for farmer dragging trailer into the field (which is typical). If can keep the CTIS working.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks