• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton A1. With A mack engine

snowtrac nome

the turbo charged macks were known to have weak cranks we had a na mack in korea it would pull a house down but just not fast. I remember it always had a very distinct sound

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sir,
Your thread title is missing key information to permit us to help you without some form of mind reading ability.

Your "5 ton A1" could easily refer to ANY of the M809 Series 5-Ton Trucks, ANY of the M939 Series 5-Ton Trucks, or the newer LMTV type trucks etc.

While abbreviating sounds kinda cool, it actually handicaps your current serch for information and cripples any future Forum SEARCH attempts to find and read archived posts.

THEREFORE, please edit your original post to include the truck model designation OR simply state your M-Series designator and I will gladly do the OP editing for you.

Thank you for becoming an active participant in your own rescue.

John

2deuce

The old gasser 5 tons were converted to Macks. Not many of the gassers are left, but they are known to be about as thirsty as they get. I think that was a reason for the conversion along with everything burning one fuel. I have always heard the Mack was a good engine, but I never owned one.

sandcobra164

From my research, only 2,500 ENDT 673's made it into the trucks. That figure may be wrong but in either case, a Mack is rare. I contemplated selling a truck with an NHC-250 Cummins in order to purchase an awesome cargo truck with a Mack engine. My primary issue, I use my hardly sought after 14 liter N/A Cummins to haul roughly 55,000 pounds from time to time and it does it just fine. It has better numbers than the Mack in stock form and when turned up, it becomes much better. Old school guys say there is no replacement for displacement. Very old school line of thought but it works for me currently. I know of a Mack powered M52A1 not far from here but I'm not going to add it to my list of trucks to pursue either. I do know a Mack enthusiast and even he is not interested in a site unseen, unknown private owner truck. One issue with the Mack engine is it has a flat tappet style cam and lifter arrangement. It makes more power than a multifuel powered truck but parts availability becomes an issue. My friend who is a Mack enthusiast has sold most of his old iron and is looking around for Cummins powered trucks as well. No, I'm not trying to start a fight, I've just been around here for a while and I'm honest.

Mopar2008

Been looking hard for another to buy. And some what new to this as far as being historical correct about them I have a M52A2W/W that I am getting back up and going. And found another truck in South West Kentucky. For sale With a mack and had never heard of one with a mack in it thanks for all the help