• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton advice

biggen

i have a 1979 xm813 ww lwb truck no bed and needing some work and thinking hard on what i should do with it , dont know if i should restore back to the way it was or get bobbed ... any idea would be great help to me, thanks

m816

With a long bed truck, You could slide a com shelter in it and still have deck area at the rear. That could be covered for shade or rain protection and still do your cooking with out ever stepping down to ground. All your necessary junk could be stoed on the back for a perfect camper. Great for those weekend shows and away games.or just tailgating:beer:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy. :cookoo:

The one thing you should definitely do is bring it to the GA Rally in Oct.

Since MV's are herd animals it will have a good time among it's fellow vehicles.

Threads about the rally will be posted soon.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

biggen

thanks for the welcome. aint to sure what i wanna do with it yet but i try to up load some pic let me know if it worked .......... reason i say it a lwb is nevere seen one with the fram that much past tandems all together 20ft from cab to end of fram

Attachments

biggen

it's 2 1/2 from front of tire to tank 2 1/2 ft ... and 6 ft on other side from battery box...... sorry just got the tank back from getting clean havent bolted down yet .........( fuel line replacing now)

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If it were me, I would try to find a bed for it and restore. It doesn't look too bad and they are not that common.

biggen

are there any other id tags some where else on the truck???? just thinking if for some reson cab was swap out... been looking and the m814 xlwb ... and it seems that it would be it for the long fram.... same size as m814. but is saying m813 and ideas?

jaxsof

Behind Left Front wheel on top of frame rail, get the correct VIN, and ask Carnac to see what he can find. While you have it, compare it to the VIN on the tag. I will bet you a donut they are different.

wdbtchr

What significance is the Xm813 on the tag have. Never saw one like that and wondered what it means.:roll:

I bid on a LWB 5ton in Lebanon, MO many years ago it was the M39 multifuel type but got way outbid in a live auction. Remember those? The good ole days, you got it, paid for it, and got your form 97 right them.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Slide the tandems to the back of the frame, get a 5thwheel plate and a s250 shelter and build this:
If the frame is not doubled, it will need to be done, that is a pretty good stretch for a single rail frame, there will be a lot of twist there