• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton air cleaner question

panzerjunky

I am sure this is a dumb question but.......I was looking at a 5 ton to buy and the air cleaner can was on the right fender and not the drivers side like I have normaly seen what is the difference?
Thanks Jerry

area52

Yep, if its on the passenger side fender then its an LDS multi-fuel or a Mack ENDT.

Open the hood and if you see a crossover tube on top, then its a Mack and you should buy it!!!:grd:

M813A1

All M809 Series 5 ton trucks will have the air cleaner on the Left or Drivers side fender .. All M39 Series 5 ton trucks will have the air cleaner on the Right or Passenger side fender this includes all Multifuel truck and Mack powered trucks !!!

area52

All M809 Series 5 ton trucks will have the air cleaner on the Left or Drivers side fender .. All M39 Series 5 ton trucks will have the air cleaner on the Right or Passenger side fender this includes all Multifuel truck and Mack powered trucks !!!

The M39 series trucks that have the gas engine (Continental 6602) do not have any fender mounted air cleaner, its inside the engine compartment.

As far as which is better, its a matter of personal preference but the Macks are pretty rare and I like rare trucks!

Marcel

I have an M51A2. A 5 ton dump with an LDS multifuel turbocharged engine. The air cleaner is on the passenger side fender (right side).

rmgill

And of course the M809 series trucks with the turbo conversions have the air cleaner moved to the right side fender so its a short run to the turbo and then the air charge tube runs over to the driver's side. :mrgreen:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And of course the M809 series trucks with the turbo conversions have the air cleaner moved to the right side fender so its a short run to the turbo and then the air charge tube runs over to the driver's side. :mrgreen:
Doesn't that just confuse things! :D
Even with the air cleaner moved though, you should still be able to tell the difference between the M809 series and the M54 and it's family by the hood and front grill. The M54 et al have a shorter hood and flat (ala Deuce) grill, the M809 series have a longer hood and thus the 3-angle grill.

Cheers
Pic 1 - M54
Pic 2 - M813

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks