• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Air governor cut in & cut out

kaiser2help

Is there anyone familiar with making adjustment to the air system governor. I am looking to cut in at 65 psi. and to cut out at 110 psi. It is a 1954 M54-A2 Multifuel. I am not sure if the inner adjustment is for the low or high. And vise versa for the larger adjuster. Any help would be great.

m.walker

Look in the manual , it's fairly easy . Been a long time since I did it , but mine kicked off at 95 psi so I bumped it up to 125 . I think it was like a 5/16 wrench and you turn it a little at a time to raise it . Mine's a 1957 M52 so it should be similar to yours . It's on the firewall to the left of middle , just follow the airline off the compressor .

bradmachine

just bought a 5 ton and haven't had a chance to look it over yet...but I know a little about air governors, if they don't take adjustment, if they operate erratically, don't work right...get a new one....they are relatively cheap. and if you can get to it easily, the worst is over....take it off and in to a truck parts place.....you should get a new one for $20 or less...they used to be $12....and it will be preset and work....the o-rings get worn and they just won't work right.....if it will adjust, then do it, but if it is not consistent..get a new one before it drives you crazy...

bottleworks

You can't set the engagement pressure independent of the disengagement pressure. They are relative to each other. If it won't adjust up or is erratic, just replace it. IIRC, counterclockwise adjustment will increase the pressure.

kaiser2help

Thankyou for the help. Would someone know who the manufacturer is or know of a cross reference for the retro fit. It is probably tired . It did appear to be in good shape though. Maybe I will try to replace the large o-ring inside the body housing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks