• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton air lockers?

Those Military Guys

Supporting Vendor
they in the process in building it but it is moving along we tried to get them to build them 2 years ago but they wouldn't now they are more then will but we do have a long list of people ready to buy we will keep everyone updated
thank you
TMG

my blood flows OD

I do agree that they are a little behind market with the production but judging by what I see at the military vehicle shows. 5 tons are still pretty popular. I see more 939's then any other type of rigs.
i think with a lot of the rock bouncers, mud racers, and mega trucks going to mrap axles they lost out on that but most of those guys don't want air lockers anyway.

Its funny to see guys say I'm in if it's under $1k. well knowing what it takes to build that type of stuff there's gonna be a lot of disappointed people. I'll be surprised if they are under 1200 let alone $1500. a 5 ton differential carrier is big and that's a big chunk of steel to make it plus machine work and heat treat. I guess dreamers can dream. This is why Gearhart said he had no interest in making them. gonna be a hundred tire kickers and 10 buyers if that. that's a lot of money in time and materials to sit on and probly set 2 or 3 per yr.

Mos68x

As long as the price is reasonable I'm game since I need them, just might take me longer to get them the more expensive they are.

cwedge411

People forget these trucks were well over 100k back in the day would be double that now, new axles to build today wouldn't be cheap.. it's only because the government took the hit we get these things cheap. Since there's no government involved things are going to be at actual cost.

162tcat

People forget these trucks were well over 100k back in the day would be double that now, new axles to build today wouldn't be cheap.. it's only because the government took the hit we get these things cheap. Since there's no government involved things are going to be at actual cost.
I think we all realize that but these are old technology and manufacturing complex components has gotten easier than it was when these axles were originally designed and created. The point is very few people will spend 5k+ for a full set of air lockers when you could go Detroits in the rears or swap to MRAP axles with built in air lockers for a similar price. If only a few are sold due to high price, do you think parts will be available if one gets damaged? Nope. The key to success here is mass production at a fair price. My truck was $2,200 and I drove it home. Doesn't have lockers so I bought a m929 dump for $3,400 and drove it home so I had something to pull the other if it was ever stuck. I can't justify spending over approximately 1k per axle for air lockers when $450 take out detroits are proven and would work for me most of the time.

Now someone make it happen and I'll give you my money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The key to success here is mass production at a fair price.
Which is why nobody has done or will do this. These trucks are almost unstoppable anyway, few will consider air lockers, even fewer will do it. Let's face it, the number of guys rock crawling with 5 tons is quite small. They would be handy, but it's not as easy as installing in a Jeep. Most of us could do that, fewer could handle the job of install in a 939.

Yes, some would sell. The market is small and untested. The risk is huge to make a bunch of them only to find out the only 10 guys who would buy them are on the thread here!

162tcat

These trucks are almost unstoppable anyway,
Totally disagree with this statement, ever driven in mud or soft ground? I'd take my 4x4 pickup truck with lsd and open front end over the 6x6 any day. Lockers of any type would change the game. Honestly at this point I think I'm out and just picking up detroits, can't wait forever and winter is almost here again.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I said "almost". Everything has its limits. And if You are talking soft mud, lockers won't do you any good when you stick it to the axles.

The point is that they are incredibly capable trucks. The difference that lockers give you can be marginal or useless in any extreme situations.

Some situations you would benefit. Some, you wouldn't.

So, Without splitting hairs about capability, the big picture is that the market for lockers at the likely introductory price point is small.

That's why nobody has done it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I said "almost". Everything has its limits. And if You are talking soft mud, lockers won't do you any good when you stick it to the axles.

The point is that they are incredibly capable trucks. The difference that lockers give you can be marginal or useless in any extreme situations.

Some situations you would benefit. Some, you wouldn't.

So, Without splitting hairs about capability, the big picture is that the market for lockers at the likely introductory price point is small.

That's why nobody has done it.
That's why you lock them in before you get stuck .

162tcat

Fmtv guys got ARB to commit if they had 50 pre sold. I though a few different guys were working on this but all have fell through.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks