• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Alternator pulley shaft sheared.

mkupka

I noticed that my voltage levels kept getting lower so I decided to test the alternator. No voltage coming off the alternator BECAUSE, the alternator was not connected to the belts. The pulley shaft was shared off at the pulley with the pulley and belts lying in the engine compartment below the fan :(

What do you guys suggest?

I'd prefer for cost reasons to repair this alternator. Do you know if I can buy an alternator pulley shaft somewhere or can anyone recommend a place that can rebuilt it for me?

Thanks
Michael Kupka

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have a 5T that belongs to a client with the same issue, I will most likely just replace the alt., Did your truck get hot without the belts ?

mkupka

Well, that's a good question. I did have the engine block temperature warning, but the temp gauges were all in the normal range. Hmmm, now you have me wondering if the water pump was not spinning. Time to go check the water pump too. I have not driven it much other than a few laps in the field. I am getting it registered this week.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have my alternators rebuilt here in town for about $100/w labor. I too have had this issue where a pulley stripped out and nearly left me overheated on the side of the road. I highly recommend these guys.

[h=3]BCS Starter & Alternator Service [/h]
23rd St
Bryan, TX 77803

979-775-9470

74M35A2

Multiple failures of the same issue, makes my stomach upset. For $89 you can get a 24v 70A Delco clone that won't over-volt on an improper shut down. I think TM America offer the Chinese Delco clones with lifetime warranty for $115 and free shipping? I offer 130A units if you are heavy on added loads. The stock alternators suck, and this is yet another thread proving so. Some melt, some break shafts, some go full field, some just go out to lunch and don't come back.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Multiple failures of the same issue, makes my stomach upset. For $89 you can get a 24v 70A Delco clone that won't over-volt on an improper shut down. I think TM America offer the Chinese Delco clones with lifetime warranty for $115 and free shipping? I offer 130A units if you are heavy on added loads. The stock alternators suck, and this is yet another thread proving so. Some melt, some break shafts, some go full field, some just go out to lunch and don't come back.
Is the 24v 70A Delco clone a single wire, can you give a part number and who makes the clone, thanks

74M35A2

The clone comes from China (obviously). A few different people distribute it, both on and off this board. $89 is the cheapest I have seen it, but that is from a place that has no phone number to contact them, for the order, or for anything else, so you can imagine how a warranty issue would be handled (you'd be left holding more than the broken alternator in your hand).

Out of respect of the few here that are selling them with very little mark up, combined with fabulous support and warranty they are offering, I'd like to decline to reveal the $89 source as I don't want to be known as they guy who said "Buy it from here...", and the place doesn't even have a phone number, and 3 months later nobody's alternator works. TM America sells it for $115 free ship and lifetime warranty. Just based on that, even I would spend the extra few bucks to get it from them. Wolverine may be using the same unit, but also offers a warranty, and the mounting hardware in order to put this J-180 short alternator onto a J-180 long mount bracket. 4 trips to the hardware store is worth $ in itself. Both worth it, in my opinion.

74M35A2

Does it have the right size shift for the stock pulley?
I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the stock pulley has too small of a bore diameter, which is good, in that it can then be bored out at a machine shop to fit the clone replacement. Don't do it with a drill, it won't track straight.

Maybe somebody can confirm this point.

hardimpact

I had this happen to me last year, stuck on the side of the road 60 miles from home. I measured(using the existing belt) to reroute the belt without the alt. I installed the temporary short belt to turn the water pump, drove home with no issues. The short belt was a little loose at first, so I wrapped the smooth stationary pulley with duct tape to make it bigger.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the stock pulley has too small of a bore diameter, which is good, in that it can then be bored out at a machine shop to fit the clone replacement. Don't do it with a drill, it won't track straight.

Maybe somebody can confirm this point.
I am guessing that the oe alt. is the same one used forever by the military but with a serpentine belt, the older uses had a dedicated drive belt/belts, the serpentine belt puts a LOT more load on the shaft with it driving everything, the smaller dia. shaft was fine for the dedicated drive belt BUT is to small (to much flex) to handle the load of driving everything with a single belt.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I had this happen to me last year, stuck on the side of the road 60 miles from home. I measured(using the existing belt) to reroute the belt without the alt. I installed the temporary short belt to turn the water pump, drove home with no issues. The short belt was a little loose at first, so I wrapped the smooth stationary pulley with duct tape to make it bigger.
It would be a GOOD idea for EVERYBODY that has a serpentine belt engine to carry on the truck, the "short" water pump drive belt just in case the alt. shaft decides to break. Can you give the size of the short belt. ??

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Did your truck get hot when the alt. took a dump, that is my issue with the truck I have, I DO NOT know if the truck was run and if so how long with no water pump drive.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator I posted about is for the NHC-250 engines. It may work on the 8.3 but I have only used it on the 250 and multi-fuel.

The pulley must be bored out to .875in and if it is done correctly then it is a snug fit. I have my Brother do mine on a very expensive lathe where he works. There are no keys on the shafts and the nut/washer combo is the only thing that keeps it tight.

The alternators come out of the box with test papers and mine usually test out at just over 80A which is more than enough to keep the batteries charged and run the truck at night as my XM813 is LED now.

YMMV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks