• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton axel boots

m139h2otruck

Interesting you should ask, as I just replaced both front boots on the tractor this last weekend. I had already taken the left front hub off to replace the inside axle seal which was leaking gear oil into the boot. A couple of important items; jack up the front end so both wheels are easy to turn with the engine off, take off both front tires so you can see whats going on, and seal up the zipper (I used black silicone on both the inside and outside of the zipper). Also make sure the boot bolt holes are fairly close to matching the hub holes so the seal flange plate will go together easy and not wrinkle the boot flange.

Figure about two hours per boot, assuming that you have all the tools and parts at hand, and no help. Also, have lots of rags/wipes to clean everything up including the inside of the housing (as much as you can reach). This is why you have to move the steering so much (back and forth).

Boots were from both Saturn and OD Iron. One had Korean writing on it, but they seemed to be about the same quality. They are somewhat lighter and thinner than the one I installed on the water truck which was most likely a NOS/USArmy which came from Memphis about a year ago.

The left CV joint had very little grease in/on it so after the boot was installed, I pumped in about a half a tube through the two ports using a grease fitting w/ adapter. Also, the parts list from Memphis (from TM) showed two washers, one on each side of the CV joint, but mine only has the inside one next to the seal. End play is such that a second would probably not fit. Anyone notice this on their truck?