• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton axle swap into deuce?

Camarokid77

Hey, ive done some searching on here and havent found a thread about anyone that has actually done a swap. Has anyone done it or point me to a thread discussing it. a buddy of mine bought a set of 5 tons for a "mega truck" hes building but decided he wanted 2.5's for weight reasons. Well i may have jumped the gun but i traded him and the deal is done as my truck was already coming apart so taking the axles out was not a big deal. Did i make a mistake? Im not really worried about any fabrication such as drive shafts or suspension, as long as it is an acomplishable task without too much headache. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If they are 800 series axles you won't have a brake issue (800 series were air over hydraulic). You might need a bigger (5 ton) master cylinder.

You will have an issue with the extra weight of the 5 ton axles and tires. The multi-fuel is not going to like it.

You may also have an issue mounting them since the 5 ton axles are bigger.

I think you screwed the pooch but that's just my opinion after having fooled with these things for the last 35 years.

red

The rear axles are the problem, their pinion is offset on the wrong side. Could run the pinions backwards in the rear axles but then your running on the weak side of the gears.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The other issue will be oil pan clearance. The deuce pan is clearanced for the deuce diffs, the 5 tons are exponentially larger.

Camarokid77

The other issue will be oil pan clearance. The deuce pan is clearanced for the deuce diffs, the 5 tons are exponentially larger.
Isnt the 5 ton spring a lot taller? wont the push the axle away far enough to keep from getting in the way? Also i was thinking of adding a little bit of a lift wont that help as well?

I really appreciate all the help guys!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isnt the 5 ton spring a lot taller? wont the push the axle away far enough to keep from getting in the way? Also i was thinking of adding a little bit of a lift wont that help as well?

I really appreciate all the help guys!
That will be even more fabrication if you plan on putting the 5 tons springs as well. The spring pack is taller by virtue of more leaves but no more arch.

If the lift is not enough pull the oil pan and spin it around, same setup as the 5 ton multifuel
I think this will make matters worse. The divot in the pan is right above where the front axle is located. Spinning it around puts the sump above the front axle. A substantial lift would be required.

Camarokid77

That will be even more fabrication if you plan on putting the 5 tons springs as well. The spring pack is taller by virtue of more leaves but no more arch.
More fabrication in the mounting of the springs itself? I realise that, what im actually thinking is machining my own set of mounts that are 4" or 6" taller thank the original instead of the box style lift kits they make for these trucks out of plate steel, that way its a solid piece and will somewhat look more factory.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be fine as long as you are prepared to do the fab work. Alex' thread where he converted his has much more detail besides the pics if you have a chance to read it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks