• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Batteries

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If 8Ns fit, use them, I use two in the 819, spins it right over, figure that if a pair will start a D10 they sure as heck will start a army truck, just because WE paid for HIGH priced batteries once (the MILITARY), no need for us to do it again.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also go to Interstate and ask for 6TL blems. They can be really cheap.[thumbzup]

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hawkers ARE expensive. I just went with back with 6TL's. They are designed to fit in the box, and I have never had a problem getting the M814 to start.
:mrgreen:

Last edited:

F18hornetM

I used 4 , threaded post, grp 31's. I dont really care for the lead post/clamp anyway. Had to make a new hold down, but they will fit.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used two group 34's (1000CCA's) in the M818 from Grandma Kirkland (Costco). I used the existing hold down clamp and j-bolts, but had to install some wood blocking between them to hold steady side to side. Two are enough to crank the 855 in the So Cal.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaces two old batteries and connected two new red tops in series to get 24 volt, and removed the other two dead batteries and the slave cables from the circuit. Truck started, but Voltmeter is in the red(high). Previously on the GL video where they jumped it or used the (now dead) old batteries it was showing just under the green in the yellow.

I was curious if the small smaller wires need to be hooked up in a specific way if I only have two batteries in the circuit. One of the other small wire was on the Negative terminal that I hooked to the red top, and the other was hooked to one of the unused terminal which is no longer hooked up as seen in both photos of before and now.

Attachments

TexAndy

I got turned in series 31s for $40 apiece w/ core swap from an interstate battery warehouse. 1 year replacement warranty with them, too.

You can fit 4 series 31s in the box and they will hook up with the existing cables (barely).

The 6TLs have a higher reserve capacity than the series 31s, but in my experience the 6TLs just don't last very long. Maybe it's because most of the ones we're getting are from trucks that sat for ages in a DRMO or GSA yard. I don't know.

I do know that it is FAR easier to actually get series 31s in and out of the battery box than 6TLs.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Rich, I second the opinion of using group 31s. I am only using 2 in the 927A1. They turn over the 855 Cummins with no problem, even through our winter. I think I paid about $80 each at Continental battery (w/original batteries for core).

Hoefler

I am going to have to replace a few batteries on my 5-tons. We had a harsh winter her and it seems to have ruined my batteries. I plan on using just batteries as opposed to four. Does anybody have a decent diagram that shows how to do this.
I have an M923 and 936. Further, after reading the postings here, it looks like Gp 31 batteries will do the job (summertime).
Pete

ke5eua

I am going to have to replace a few batteries on my 5-tons. We had a harsh winter her and it seems to have ruined my batteries. I plan on using just batteries as opposed to four. Does anybody have a decent diagram that shows how to do this.
I have an M923 and 936. Further, after reading the postings here, it looks like Gp 31 batteries will do the job (summertime).
Pete
If you look at my picture you can see the layout for 2 batteries.

Right side is the cross over + to -

Left side top is 24v +
Left side bottom is ground

little wire on cross over is 12v, it is for my glow plug.

There should be a diagram on the lid, just cross out the parallel section.

MtnSnow

Hoefler,

It's pretty easy and straight forward to convert from the 4 batteries to only 2. In your M939 series trucks using the under the pass seat location the two cables coming up from under the truck need to connect to the will go to a single bank of batteries in series.

Hopefully this pic will help... (mine shows with a Key switch installed) but I made the notation of where the cable goes if you don't run a key switch. The other cable that goes to - Neg post "C" you can't see as it is on the other side of my key switch as it was re-routed for the Key mod but would normally be coming up between the batteries. If you need a larger resolution pic try this link (it's on my personal website gallery)

Attachments

goldneagle

Pete
It's actually easy to convert to 2 batteries. Just pay attention to where in the circuit the small wires are connected. In my truck there were two small wires. One went to the 12 volt and one to the 24 volt. As long as you mark each one you can duplicate it in a 2 battery setup. To get 12 volt, tie the wire to the positive terminal of the battery that the has the negative terminal connected to the truck ground. The 24 volt terminal is the one that feeds the power cable to the starter.

You will have more wires per terminal. I split my wires to use both sides of the clamp. Picture this: Bolt head, lug of heavy cable, battery clamp, lug of heavy cable, lug of small cables (incl. Solargizers) washer, nut.

Hoefler

Thanks for all the help. Going in with the two battery set up. I have talked to O Rielly Auto parts about 6TL batteries-they have them for 199 bucks and an 18 buck core charge. So, changing my trucks over to two battery set ups with fresh batteries.
Minnesota had a real cold winter which seems to have killed my batteries. Guessing they froze and separated some internal plates. Best I can get is 10 volts out of them. Batteries coming out and into warm storage for next winter.
Pete

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks