• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton battery mystery wire and generator problem

m929dumper

My son left master switch on truck for the past week and batteries were completely dead. Since i do not own a 24V charger,IMG_3283.jpgIMG_3284.jpg i had to charge all batteries individually. When I opened the box, I saw this individual wire without a connector taped to negative cable. Was wondering if it is supposed to be hooked up, is it factory?

Also, after i got the truck started, voltage gauge was reading normal, so decided to take it for a spin. Next thing i noticed is volts in yellow (discharge) and a smell of electrical burning. Got back, thank goodness, and popped hood, and it looks like black soot on back half of generator and soot from windings of generator. Would i have fried the generator somehow in charging the batteries or is it pure coincidence?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
No telling where the wire goes unless you trace it back. I have a few of those that just go dead in the harness. Yes the alternator problem does happen. Upgrade to the Si ones. Its cheaper. Or email clint up in Michigan. M35 something or other. He will stick his nose in here shortly. Hes a steel soldiers addict.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

603hellmutt

That wire either leads to the ground on the blower motor, or the ground for the abs diagnostic plug I had to put a new lead on mine at some point. Best of luck

Csm Davis

No telling where the wire goes unless you trace it back. I have a few of those that just go dead in the harness. Yes the alternator problem does happen. Upgrade to the Si ones. Its cheaper. Or email clint up in Michigan. M35 something or other. He will stick his nose in here shortly. Hes a steel soldiers addict.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
Hey that looks like simp5782 has been under there. Yeah just put a new ring terminal on it and bolt it down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The HUlk

Would i have fried the generator somehow in charging the batteries or is it pure coincidence?
Are you sure all of the batteries were completely charged before operating the truck? Completely charged means more than a 12V reading with a meter. It means able to pass a load test. My guess is the generator issue was no coincidence. These generators are only rated for 60A which is underrated if you ask me. They are known for burning up when the batteries get too low putting a serious load on the charging system. Mine fryed and I think low batteries may have been a contributing factor. I replaced it with a civilian version as explained in the following thread...

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?146113-M931A1-losing-magic-smoke&highlight=

74M35A2

You silly rabbits, Trix are for kids. The mystery wire should feed the low side heater blower (12v). Factory alternators on these were unreliable when new, and worse yet at 25 years old or whatever. Ask grandma to run a stress test and see what happens. Your alternator wiped out from the load of charging dead batteries. Interesting how it can't even do what it is supposed to do, charge the batteries, without committing suicide. From an energy balance, 60A is plenty for these trucks if no additional electrical loads have been added. But, overkill is the name of this game. I do have brand new genuine Delco 33si's on sale right now for less than 50% of their dealer price. These are brushless, 100A, 24v units designed to last 1 million miles in over the road trucks. single B+ wire connection, will not over-volt on improper shut-down. Yummy, with pulley. If you just want a improved low cost stock replacement, the Chinese Delco 70A clone can be had for about $80 on the net. I also offer a 130A unit for the home run hitters, belts out 177 amp at room temp, has twin internal fan, is small and light, really trick piece. 3 year unconditional warranty on genuine parts from me, I do not sell the Chinese one. Keyboard is still F'd.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks