• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton bed on a Deuce?

Jared

Nice Job. Looking at picture #3 (side view) it looks like it was made that way. I don't think anyone except the relatively few people that know something about these trucks would even realize it wasn't stock.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question on the wood spacer between the bed and frame. The deuce ' s is 3/4" most of the way and tapers down to 1/2" near the front. Is it designed this way for movement of has it just word down over the years? Reason I'm asking is the one that came with the 5 ton bed is in better condition and has no taper. I was thinking about using it until I noticed the taper.
I don't know about the 5-tons, but the original sills on the M35 are just as you said: the last 15 inches towards the front are cut to a taper, going from little over 3/4" straight down to 1/2"; some even less than that. The M109's are 1" thick and tapered on both ends, down to about 3/8".
TM 9-2320-361-34P (JULY1993), Fig. 144, Item #13 barely indicates this.
It shouldn't have a taper. It's just worn.
Not so, take a second look.

G.

I don't know about the 5-tons, but the original sills on the M35 are just as you said: the last 15 inches towards the front are cut to a taper, going from little over 3/4" straight down to 1/2"; some even less than that. The M109's are 1" thick and tapered on both ends, down to about 3/8".
Not so, take a second look.G.
I ended up shortening and drilling the wood filler strips from the 5 ton bed. Hope this doesn't create a problem because I really don't want to take this off again, although I'm starting to get pretty good at it. 

Something else I found a little interesting, is the 2 1/2 ton beds have one more pair of mounting brackets than the longer 5 ton beds.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....Hope this doesn't create a problem because I really don't want to take this off again, although I'm starting to get pretty good at it.....
What is so difficult? Just loosen the bolts on one side first, jack it up about 1" on that side; pull out that sill and cut to correct shape. Reinstall and do the same on the other side.
The bed is built fairly rigid while the frame flexes more than what it seems! There is a reason for those two pair of coil springs and long bolts, on the front-most bracket.
I would not try to be smarter than the designers...

G.

rustystud

Not so, take a second look.

G.

I guess mine is not stock then as there is no taper

What is so difficult? Just loosen the bolts on one side first, jack it up about 1" on that side; pull out that sill and cut to correct shape. Reinstall and do the same on the other side.
The bed is built fairly rigid while the frame flexes more than what it seems! There is a reason for those two pair of coil springs and long bolts, on the front-most bracket.
I would not try to be smarter than the designers...

G.
Will fix this weekend. I've been working nights this week and would like to blame lack of sleep lately for not thinking of how simple this really would be. Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks