• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Bobsled, Recovery assistance near Berkeley Springs WV

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
If it didn't have all that CTIS stuff, one might try bolting a PR of standard dually rims to each front wheel and create wheel winches if a suitable anchor can be located or created.
Close to what I was thinking - chain up the high side rear axle, pull the tire/wheel assembly, mount a wheel sans tire and use it as a winch drum for rear recovery.

Best,
David

AZK9

WVNG-

Hope the main roads are allowing your 'help-team' to reach your site.

Keep an eye on the weather. Temperatures look to be headed towards a
big warmup. Hope you can get it out prior to Monday.

Here in South Jersey where I am at the moment... temps between 50/60
saw rapid melting and the ground getting soft and mushy. I know that your
soil content will be different from what I'm seeing here, but if your soil gets
disrupted by digging around the 5ton, it could make things extremely unstable.

An infusion of that much snowmelt could cause water-runs and 'soil slides' which
could put your MV in an even worse situation. Do you have any means to 'sandbag'
a perimeter to route water well away from the truck? Also... the passenger side
appears (from the photos) to be in a ditch (not simply on a slope). If that is the case,
which way would water flow as it passes under those wheels? Is there a way that you
could block that potential flow (on the uphill side) and re-route that water away from,
or around your site of operations?

And lastly, is there any way that you can secure the truck across the road, or are
there other folks who travel that path in addition to you and your family? Wondering...

weather-for-WVNG-00.jpg

Keep us posted as to how you are progressing. Be safe and Good luck! [thumbzup]

WV New Guy

The soil composition is rock and shale with some clay mixed in . I would set up a Z-Rig with some rope to secure it but we are the 2nd to last house on the road it's on my property but I'm not going to lock the neighbors in after they've been house bound since Friday . It's secure a good majority of the snow was dug out to the rock. We aired tires down and if we stated rocking it it may just break out but one ride towards a roll over was enough for me . Were going to wait for the Dozer to arrive this evening or tomorrow.

AZK9

... one ride towards a roll over was enough for me . ...
:roll: No doubt! Nobody wants that to happen again!!! Everyone here in 'SS Land' is pulling for an awesome outcome! :-D

We're all holding our collective breaths... waiting to hear great news from you as soon as you get that beautiful MV
free and home, safe-n-sound in your driveway! [thumbzup]

o1951

If you hooked cables (using comalongs preferably) real low on the truck and real low on the trees across the road, couldn't folks just drive across the cable?
That could work, if he put a thick sheet of plywood on top of cables to make sure a civy car with small tires cannot possibly foul a cable.

my76fj40

Really hoping for one of those "planned and discussed for days, and out in 10 uneventful minutes". Be safe and best of luck.

Augdog1964

Wish I was closer, it would be fun to use the Mk48/15a1 on that... I pulled the truck that brought the Leopard 1, it and its trailer backwards with his brakes locked... all 100 foot of truck and trailer... I couldn't hear them yelling to stop as I drug him backwards.

Good luck man... be safe.

WV New Guy

Ok she's out 5 minutes with the dozer a little tug and she climbed right out. Toughest thing was trying to steer . Dozer was 450G wide track ex-forestry model so the extra weight from the ROPS and winch the dozer didn't even slide back towards the truck. Pics to follow wife was taking pics . I was attempting to steer with no power steering fluid what a work out . Pics will be posted later. To all thanks for the ideas and keeping me sane while I waited inside during the Blizzard to extract the truck.

AZK9

:goodjob: So glad to hear such great news!!!!! Fantastic!!

I see some nice shiny CHAINS in your future!! :wink:

jointhechaingang.jpg [thumbzup]