• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Brake problems

kstate90

I have a 1970 AM General 800 series 5ton 6x6 that I have been having brake problems with. It was originally a dump truck that we converted to a fire truck under FEPP. I noticed that the pedal was getting soft so I checked the fluid and it was low. Added about 1/2 a quart and got the brakes working. Went to drive it today and noticed a puddle under the truck. On the side of the air valve next to the master cylinder there is a vent tube and it appears that the brake fluid is coming out of that. Do I need a new Air valve? I assume that a seal inside the air cylinder valve has gone bad and is spitting the fluid out. We have 2 other trucks like this and have not had this problem. The master cylinder has been replaced at some point as it is painted white. I have brakes but not very good. Brakes need to be good on this as it carries about 1200 gallons of water. Thanks.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
You mean the brake booster? If it is leaking out of that you probably can get a rebuild kit but if you don't want to mess with that swap it out with a good used or new unit. Even thinking of driving that truck even unloaded is not the correct answer.