• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton bridge truck axles

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Axles are the same, spacers are used along with wider wheels. Here's the exception, some of the chassis trucks were used or destined to be used as Honest John rocket launchers. These chassis had 10:26 gears in them. Some of these chassis were converted to bridge trucks too. Just be aware the 5 ton 10:26 gear sets are out there.

BigDog

On my M821 Bridge Transport the rear axles and housings are longer than a regular 5 Ton. It only uses the spacers on the front axle. From what I have found out the reason they did this was for floation and stability purposes. I think they used this same set up on the M812 also.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the spacers are used to keep the 1400 tire from rubbing the frame and spring, some of the older bridge trucks (ie some of the 54 series gassers )had a wider axle houseing but no spacer, this ended in the same length as the newer ones, at one time someome at the motor pool rolled a old set under, who knows thinking of the military

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
no, the 1400 tire will rub the spring and frame, you could remove the spacers, the long studs , and the 12"rim, put on the standard rim and 1100s, or 1200s and standard studs, this will get you to 8'6"

derby

I do not have the truck, just looking in to one and trying to find out what i would need to do to legalize it.if I get involved with it I will let you know.

BigDog

To make mine road legal all I was going to do is put on the "super singles" and remove the front spacers. Just have never been able to save up the money!! Too many irons in the fire!! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks