• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Bridge Truck?!?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the big R6602 got like 4mpg I think I've seen posted. Are the axles stock 5 ton width on those with spacers or what? Could a set of HEMTT wheels or 5 ton combats slap to have a width legal truck again?
Sweet dreams! You might get 4 downhill on a bare bones M52 tractor. You will do well to get 2 with that 33,000# behemoth. Now, with that said, that might just be the only 5 ton I wouldn't kick out of my AO.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my old gasser m52 got 6+ going to and back from the 99 MVPA convention, that was 99%freeway driving, if you can get 4 out of a bridge truck, the MV GODS have smiled on you

spicergear

Wow...4mph and the gods are smiling?! LOL!!!

That is some funny stuff right there! WOW. Show's what I know about these big ba$tards. Must have an 850 Holley on that 602" beast! :mrgreen:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow...4mph and the gods are smiling?! LOL!!!

That is some funny stuff right there! WOW. Show's what I know about these big ba$tards. Must have an 850 Holley on that 602" beast! :mrgreen:
Thinking that's 4 MPG. They have a big honkin zenith carb that reminds me of a toilet made before the 1992 ban on normal toilets. Now they are limited to 1.6 gallons per flush. Thanks Congress for sticking your fingers in my toilet business. Ooops, sorry, fell off the rails.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen bridge trucks with multifuels also. The ones at winers were gassers, looks like they haven't moved in 20+ years.

NJRICK

M812 Bridge Truck The army uses them to haul sections of ribbon bridge , boats & also haul a flat pallet for hauling cargo. I spent many hours using one at FT Benning 586th Engr Co

503m715

I ended with an old gasser bridge truck a few years ago. I got it for free. A friend from work bought property and the truck was on it. His wife didnt like the ugly thing and wanted it gone. So being the nice guy that I am, I hauled it away for them. I took it to my parents farm and that was the last time I saw it. My dad took and hid it from me. He uses it to haul logs to the farm for firewood.
It had a brass plaque on the dash for some type of service in Iran????

03silverado

From the sounds of it the only thing that gas engine is good for is raising the stock prices for Exxon-Mobil or you could pull the heads off run a chain through the cylinders and make a nice anchor for a yaht. If you get it scrap that gas engine and replace it with a 671T 2 stroke Detroit diesel

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That 6602 gas motor is stronger then both the MACK and the MULTI, will out power both just very THIRSTY, there is another carb that is a replacement for the OE carb ( a lot better then the OE) can't remember the maker. The 6602 carb can not be any worse then the BIG 2 barrel holly that was on the 51, 530 ci., 390A WHITE that was in my 39 10t Autocar flat rack

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The torque that they put out just over idle is astounding. Everette Doyle put his in a truck pull and it laughed at the sled.

deloit

Yep...It's a M139. I had one for several years. Everytime I took it out for a drive it would cost $50 in gas. I put 16r20's on it and the torque drop like a stuck pig. Everyone loved the truck, they know I was coming from miles away. I almost would love to have it back.

m139h2otruck

The M139/328 trucks with the 6602 engine are overwidth for running on the road, would have to run overwidth/overload permits all the time. The water truck in my avatar was a 1961 M139 truck that some fire dept. added the tank to. Since we had to be able to run it down the road, we reversed the rear hubs like a duece (only bigger), reused the spacers and just reinstalled the singles. Slightly narrow on the back track by an inch or so but not a problem. Front hubs still have the thick spacers needed for the deep dish wheels used on these trucks. Truck is just at legal width @ the fenders and tank.

The replacement carb is a Zenith, original equipment was a Holley. Still not great on fuel, 2 miles per gallon or a little better. Fine for what we do with it, as on the job you only idle around the site laying out the water. Don't run down the road loaded as the tires are as old as the truck! The tires are also not rated for the fully loaded weight (as singles) so the DOT guys would not be happy.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know a guy that has a Bridge Truck in the classifieds. :whistle:
A guy responded to your classified ad and said he is interested. He left his phone number. I am guessing you already saw that, but...just in case...I am letting you know.

91W350

Do any of you know what holds those spacers on the back drums? I suspect they are bolted on the inside of the drum or hub flange. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks