• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton brush truck

fasttruck

Remember:

1. 1200 gallons of water weighs 10,00 pounds. You are up to the off road capacity of the truck before hose, tools, tanks, and pump are added.

2. Those 600 gallon military liquid storage tanks are not baffled. I understand the most common fire apparatus accident is tanker roll-over.

3. Slow is good. Proficient operators are required to handle the manual transmkision and not roll the gtruck over off the road.

RDFD1

These tanks are baffled and by losing the original bed we lowered the center of gravity 11 inches. I will not know the weight difference until we re-weigh it at the co-op next door. The first one we built was a M35A2, and learned from the mistakes. We also have a duece with super singles waiting in the wings. It will only have one 600 gal. tank to keep it light. I am an avid off-roader ( 2 jeeps, a willys and a powerwagon ) so we have off road and winch technique training. We understand that these trucks are not speed demons and drive them accordingly.:)

poppop

I just fought a fire on my property yesterday with my Duece and 1200 gallon tank. I went through some very rough terotory with no problems but I was driving and taking it real slow and picking my path. Yes, I know the duece is overloaded with a 1200 gallon tank. The trucks primary job is to furnish water to the farm sprayers. I removed the tank from my 1964 f600 single axle truck when I retired it so feel much better with it on the duece. I have owned this tank since 1975 and it has only been rolled once, and I was not driving, my Dad was and he took a corner way to fast.

kfdk14

Awesome truck the 5 tons are a big improvement over the a2 for firefighting. My dept has 2, 1 with 600 and 1 with 1200 gal. and an a3 with a 600 on it.

kstate90

We have three 5tons with 1200 gallons of water on them. We had a welding shop build us baffled stainless steel tanks. Two of our trucks were tractors and one was a dump truck. We had the welding shop build the beds and tanks. With a full load of water and equipment they are just under the offroad weight. They aren't meant to get their first. We have newton dumps on them and each one of them carries a 1500 dump tank. They are dual purpose trucks tanker/brush truck. We run a hale 200 pump on ours and they have sidewinder nozzles on the front. Your trucks look good. The will go alot of places and pickup won't go.

RDFD1

Thanks all. This isnt our first so each truck gets improvements as we go. This one has a 250 gpm pump, 120 ft of 1 inch booster line, a 1 inch whip line on the walkway behind the cab, 2 front mount 1 inch nozzles that are air actuated from the cab and 150 ft of pre-conected 1 1/2 hose. As some of you know these trucks have to be able to do more than one job so thats the way we design ours. It can be used as to fight fire as well as reload smaller trucks off road. If you run them in low range and 1st gear the speed is perfect for grass fires and you dont abuse the clutch or your left leg.:-D

RDFD1

Just talked to my rural fire coordinator and he tells me that the forestry dept. just got in some newer style 5 tons...DOH!!! Got mine 6 months too soon, and to add more pain they have some 2 cylinder Duetch diesels with 250 gpm pumps. Double DOH!!! My typical luckaua

CobraChris

Good looking truck! Wish we had one like it. Our dept. retired their duece, and went with a "modern truck", which is a 4wd international, with a crew cab, and half the water capacity of the duece. It also gets stuck in wet grass.

FM5332FF

Anyone can fight fire with a 5 Ton, It takes skill to fight fire with a F550 with a 500 Gal tank and all terrain tires :) Nice truck though. I wish my department had better brush trucks. But then again there isnt much brush in the city, But we do run alot of mutural aid calls outside of our area.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our fire department conversion to a brush truck is almost completed. We respond to a lot of wildland fires and this is the weapon of choice.
Good looking truck.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just talked to my rural fire coordinator and he tells me that the forestry dept. just got in some newer style 5 tons...DOH!!! Got mine 6 months too soon, and to add more pain they have some 2 cylinder Duetch diesels with 250 gpm pumps. Double DOH!!! My typical luckaua

Everytime I go the the Forestry location I drool over the equipment they have. They are good people down there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks