• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton cargo to tractor

woodywood

Private
i am converting my m54a2 to a tractor so i can help move you guys stuff again.
captain has had a lot of vehicle problems here lately.can anyone give me the measurements from the rear of a5 ton tractor to the center of the fifth wheel?
i have most of the parts hope to get this done pretty quick!also if anyone has or knows where there is a lowboy for a good price or one that needs work!
thanks in advance!

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would leave it LONG, and mount a winch behind the cab, id use a tc pto and eather a 5t front winch or a wrecker rear winch. you can also go for a hyd. setup, if that was the case use the double shaft trans pto thats on the dumps, use the rear output to drive the pump

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
50" from the rear most end of the frame, to the center of the 5th wheel. The ramps add 1/4", they "wrap" down over the end of the frame.

The center of the 5th wheel is about 5" forward of the center of the rear axles, on an M818.

woodywood

Private
thanks for the help everyone!i have a double pto that i got when i bought my front winch and i dont know what size winch im putting behind the cab because my buddy thats helping me do this has quite a few to choose from!i will try to get by his place and take some pics of his gasser recovery truck if he will let me he is kinda leery of the whole internet thing:cookoo: but he is also a genius when it comes to pto and hydraulics!i am also gonna have a warn at the rear tucked under and between the frame!
stay tuned! and thanks guys!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Woodywood,

Did you ever continued with your project? I am taking the dump of this weekend and will be instlalling the fifth wheel if everything goes ok.

stumpjumper83

If you plan on pulling trailer alot you might want to put a civilian slider on. Instead of a fixed mil. spec. As for winches id go no smaller than a 5 ton front winch, and a 40k wrecker winch would be prefered for loading dead vehicles. Put a roller tail on the truck like you see on oil field equipment, they come in handy for lots of things.

M813A1

I like our idea !! Just be very careful and keep an eye on your frame because the M818 or M52 tractors have a heavier frame then your M54 does !! So you will have to watch to make sure no cracks show up in the frame !! Good Luck with your project !!!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like our idea !! Just be very careful and keep an eye on your frame because the M818 or M52 tractors have a heavier frame then your M54 does !! So you will have to watch to make sure no cracks show up in the frame !! Good Luck with your project !!!

What about the M51A2 frame? I thought the M52A2 and the M51A2 have the same chassis.

woodywood

Private
i havent really had the time or money to work on the truck lately.i have been using the 818 i got from derrick.hope to get back on this after the first of the year thanks guys for your support!

Alredneck

Banned
WHeres the pics of it sitting on the 14s with the hard top? I found a lowboy, its $30k needs a wet kit and has fold outs for wide loads!

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those interested in what's happening on my 5-ton dump to tractor and back project, have a look on this post and the next posts.

M813A1, thanks that;s what I hoped.

Alredneck

Banned
Man Woody you need to pull the white fenders off my parts truck and put on Dirty Red! Them look worse in pics. Also if you feel like grinding all the old weld off I have a set of bumper extensions for a front winch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks