• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton & CCC Road Speeds

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying to get REAL WORLD ideas of road speeds for the 900 series with different tire sizes and also the 915 / CCC series tractor and or m918 chassie truck (Same series). Since we all know the data plate and real world are off a bit. I would be towing a dolly and semi trailer behind one or the other on ocasion also.
I just want some practical ideas for using the truck for 100 to 200 miles runs 3 to 4 times a year, plus normal local shows using it to tow a semitrailer with dolly.
THANKS!! :)

M1075

You can easily run off and leave the M939 series with a M915. M916-M920 are geared a little lower, but they will still fly, even while pulling a load.

STock M923A2 will run 65 all day, :) just watch for the cramp just above the knee because of the pedal position. It probably will, over time, leave the tranny a lot worse for wear, but my LT SWORE to me that the "overspeed" light flashing on the dash "meant nothing". Also, please, do NOT EVER BE TEMPTED to use the throttle control as a "cruise control". It DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY SHUT OFF NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU PUSH ON THE BRAKE PEDAL! :shock:

reb87

My m944 with goodyear 14 r 20 tires will go 60+ by engine rpm but the tires are speed rated at 55mph I dont see a speed rating on the michelin tires.

Artillerydan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the CCC series M915 has a higher gear ratio than the others in the series.... I have seen some cement trucks and the bituminous sprayers up for auction and wondered if they would be good candidate for a Cargo bed, and yet give me some serious towing ability at road / highway speeds. So the question would be do all the M916-M920 have the same gearing??? And would I be looking at 65 crusing up to 70 75 or???
THANKS for the answers so far! :D

Different Breed of truck

The M939 series of truck is considered a tactical vehicle, and really is better at lower speeds and going through the woods.
The M915 series (A1 [CCC], A2 & A3 [FREIGHTLINER]) is a slightly modified (painted) OTR tractor, and performs as such.
The M916-M920 series of vehicles are Heavy Mover vehicles, designed for moving heavy loads. The concrete mixer and bituminous spreader editions may not have the gearing for sustained highway speeds, I'm not sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks