• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton CDL?? (Indiana)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've already been down these roads.

Take a copy of the no tag displayed statute with you. Show it to the LEO that stops you. They will be polite (in my experience) and let you go.

As for the CDL, I got mine. My reasoning was if something happens and there's an accident (I have a military tractor-trailer registered as historic), I may be charged with operating a vehicle without the proper license and it would be my fault. Yes, you might get off after a court (expensive) battle. But the lawyer will charge more than it costs to get the CDL. Just one less thing to worry about. And, if you take a class with on the road training, you will learn how to safely operate a large, heavy vehicle.
Did they make you get the CDL restricted license ? The one where you can only drive a class A truck with an automatic transmission. Thought Florida still does that.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did they make you get the CDL restricted license ? The one where you can only drive a class A truck with an automatic transmission. Thought Florida still does that.
Don't know if FL has a restricted CDL. My M915 is the first tractor with an automatic transmission that I have driven. Everything else has been a Eaton/Fuller of one kind or another.
The automatic is much nicer in stop and go traffic though.

tobyS

I put a farm plate on and drive up to 150 miles. Not only don't I need a CDL but I can exceed the size and weight if pulling raw farm produce back to the farm. I have a small farm, but nobody asks.

I'm taking that to mean my sawmill waste that I plan on growing mushrooms, on, although I'm trying to stay under the 8'6".

charlesmann

Im hopping to find the answer to this question for texas my next rotation home. I need to head back to my farm property and help a high school friend fell some trees that i want to bring back to central tx for sawing into fresh lumber.
i need to take 936 to help yard the logs and load them onto my trailer.
My wife can drive the 936 since its an auto, but cant pull a trailer. Plus my trailer and 1tn require a cdl, which i do have.
I just cant drive 2 vehicles at the same time.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know if FL has a restricted CDL. My M915 is the first tractor with an automatic transmission that I have driven. Everything else has been a Eaton/Fuller of one kind or another.
The automatic is much nicer in stop and go traffic though.
Guess I would have lost that bet. I asked Ray / Razor and he said he never got one. Mine grandfathered from the early 80's and had Hazmat but Fl .wanted to much money for renewal so I dropped it. Yes Automatics is nicer my rears just geared wrong.

Last edited:

JD4044M

I gave up my CDL for he same reasons MONEY and lower alcohol limits even tho I do not drink. I was Tanker, Passenger, School Bus rated. You have to have drug tests too you pay for. This is the reason I bought the M1078A0 and the Washington State DMV said due to the empty weight of 17,500 lbs it has to have a Commercial Registration but I don't need a CDL to drive it. Just can't tow over 10,000 lbs behind it. I guess I sorta got over being a 100% Disabled Veteran so I have those plates on it. Changed them from my 2005 Dodge Ram Pick up there 0nly $70.00 a year to get. So if your a 100% disabled vet use your plates to put on it if your state has those plates.

290smallcam

I don't have a CDL. Been pulled over only once. I tried to explain the commercial vehicle laws to him and I guess he didn't care. So if they ever give me a ticket I'll take it to court. It clearly states that a CDL is need to operate if the vehicle is being used in commerce!

Nomadic

I put a farm plate on and drive up to 150 miles. Not only don't I need a CDL but I can exceed the size and weight if pulling raw farm produce back to the farm. I have a small farm, but nobody asks.

I'm taking that to mean my sawmill waste that I plan on growing mushrooms, on, although I'm trying to stay under the 8'6".
What kind of mushrooms are you going to grow?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google this....49 CFR 383.5 Definitions....whats ur take? CDL or not. im not using my truck for transport of good or trade. Nor am I making any money using it.
Not exactly true.

Each state has its own laws. Some require more advanced licenses based on weight, length, trailer size, air brakes, etc. While they may not require a CDL, you may still be required to get a Class A or B NON-CDL, instead of the normal Class C. It's basically the same CDL requirements without the medical section.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gave up my CDL for he same reasons MONEY and lower alcohol limits even tho I do not drink. I was Tanker, Passenger, School Bus rated. You have to have drug tests too you pay for. This is the reason I bought the M1078A0 and the Washington State DMV said due to the empty weight of 17,500 lbs it has to have a Commercial Registration but I don't need a CDL to drive it. Just can't tow over 10,000 lbs behind it. I guess I sorta got over being a 100% Disabled Veteran so I have those plates on it. Changed them from my 2005 Dodge Ram Pick up there 0nly $70.00 a year to get. So if your a 100% disabled vet use your plates to put on it if your state has those plates.
You need a new subagent. They don't know what they're talking about. It doesn't have to be registered as commercial. Another member had to deal with the same crap with his deuce a number of years ago. If it's registered commercial, you're screwed, because they'll start sending you notices demanding to have your DOT#, and other crap. Better to get that fixed sooner rather than later. If that subagent refuses to fix it, you can get another agency to 'fix' the title issues for like $30, whatever the cost of the registration replacement is.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:deadhorse::soapbox::deadhorse:

I agree that money for a CDL is a big problem, certainly now, but all the discussion is about whether you can legally do without one, or how you can get away without having one.

Even in the military, they train soldiers (more or less) how to drive with those big rigs. Would not be bad to have at least some training or experience before jumping from your pickup truck into a 5-ton single brake monster.

:tank: ;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks