• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton Crew Cab killing em at car shows already!

mattwspeed

Just cause she's an ole army truck dont mean she can't hang with the show trucks! Been to 2 car shows and won 2 awards already!.. Folks love this monster! Kids really love it... What cracks folks up is the please touch sign I have on it at the shows... most others say "please dont touch me" my sign says " touch, climb or whatever... cant hurt this thing" here is a pic of the truck and the first trophy... Just had to brag a little... PS.. just mounted a set of new 53'' XZL 16.00R20's "not in pic"... Now it looks really tough!:driver:

5-ton fun.jpg

Amer-team

You should tell them it was a Humvee prototype, but they decided it was too big so they made the small ones. Nice looking ride. Thanks for sharing.

Cinman37

Nice looking truck matte speed, that thing looks amazing. I want to bob and crew cab my m925, do you have a build thread or did you take pictures during the fabrication process? Also was it difficult mounting / aligning the rear axle? If my truck looked half as good as this thing does after I am done I would be proud.

mattwspeed

thanks guys... I do not have a build thread started but will when I get everything done.. I have tons of pics but on several different cameras and phones so it will take a while to compile them all.. I built a CC deuce 6 months ago and if I had not sharpened my teeth on that project then the M923 would have been very tough!.. The rear axle is easy just huge, heavy and lots time.. I advise 3 good foklifts for that! Took 3 of us 15 hrs and major tools..just measure 20 times before mounting anything... The air brakes and Leaf springs dont want to play nice in the rear so some creativity is needed there! The cab is the hardest part, making the mounts and braces because it rides so much higher of the frame than a 2.5 ton truck. The job is harder but the rewards are much higher... Power steering, cummins 8.3, auto trans- much more fun to drive than the 2.5 ton was!

mattwspeed

they are 14.00 R20 X's they are not cut or grooved. Just put on a set of 16.00 R20 XZL's on Saturday... whoooo!!! What a job... never ever ever wanna do that again!!!... but it does look killer with the 16.00's

Triple C

You do really nice work, not surprised it is turning heads and winning awards - nice to see your talent and hard work is recognized. Thanks for sharing.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Very nice looking rig. The first time I took the M927 to a local street festival I parked in with all the antique cars. Several of the owners got somewhat miffed when the "big old Army truck" stole their thunder. I always allow the kids (and even grownups) that want to get in the cab to do so. Most people want pics of the kids either behind the wheel or standing next to the truck. It's a good way to get the message out that Military Vehicle collectors are just like other people that enjoy their hobby.

Attachments

DeucesWild11

I take the Deuce to the car show whenever I can, I especially like when showing up (the car show is in a parking lot a little down hill) I put her into first and let her crawl in.. The sound just gets people to turn around and smile.

PS, your rig looks awesome!

Cinman37

Just cause she's an ole army truck dont mean she can't hang with the show trucks! Been to 2 car shows and won 2 awards already!.. Folks love this monster! Kids really love it... What cracks folks up is the please touch sign I have on it at the shows... most others say "please dont touch me" my sign says " touch, climb or whatever... cant hurt this thing" here is a pic of the truck and the first trophy... Just had to brag a little... PS.. just mounted a set of new 53'' XZL 16.00R20's "not in pic"... Now it looks really tough!:driver:

View attachment 424131
Did the truck become more street-able after the bob job and did you see any significant difference in the way the truck accelerates and pulls grades after shedding the extra weight, extra rotating mass and unsprung weight?

jw4x4

That's a great looking truck. All of that hard work is appreciated. Can't wait for the rest of the pics. Excellent job!!

mattwspeed

thanks guys... "Brad" -Im shooting for the cover Sports Ilustrated swim suit edition.. figure the truck is big enough to get all the swim suits in one pic :)... The truck pulls hills much much better.. take off and cruising speed is the same.. gearing more so than a weight thing i believe.. the turning radious and drivability are massivly different! drives around like a giant pickup.. and I do mean Giant!.. My girlfriend even drives it with no issues and shes 5,7 and 115lbs.. I just dont let her try and park it at wal-mart :) HAHA

Cinman37

thanks guys... "Brad" -Im shooting for the cover Sports Ilustrated swim suit edition.. figure the truck is big enough to get all the swim suits in one pic :)... The truck pulls hills much much better.. take off and cruising speed is the same.. gearing more so than a weight thing i believe.. the turning radious and drivability are massivly different! drives around like a giant pickup.. and I do mean Giant!.. My girlfriend even drives it with no issues and shes 5,7 and 115lbs.. I just dont let her try and park it at wal-mart :) HAHA
i was looking mine over last night it looks like my cab is more narrow towards the firewall and gets wider as it goes towards the rear of the truck did you correct this dimension on the second cab you mounted or did it match up well?