• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton Detroit lockers needed badly!!

DMgunn

I have not seen a locker that will spin the other tire the opposite direction. I don't doubt that some loose limited slip diffs (Trac-Lok or Powr-Lok for example) will, since they still have spider gears and side gears in the case. But a Detroit? I frankly don't see how it would be possible. Can you demonstrate otherwise?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I like the lockers for the coolness factor, and would like them to be there if sold that way, I have heard just what John said...that lockers create an incredible strain on the driveline. It is probably better for a tractor NOT to have lockers. HOTRODEUCE: If you are hauling trailers on pavement, you are doing yourself (and you truck) a disservice by adding lockers. If you intend to haul trailers off the highway, then lockers would be nice. I will add again that having lockers is cool...but unnecessary.

emr

yea a limited slip or possi traction in a truck or car can spin opposite, but not lockers just can't do it, as for the strain it is very very tough on the whole drivetrain , transfer cases also have a tendency to fail in these trucks,also tire wear big time !!, and they ain't cheap, with that said i want a set so bad it hurts, one needs to understand the truck and what will happen to it if it is not driven with common sense, like if some one "like said above"
is going to do mostly paved roads, it is a terrible thing to do to a truck, but alot of things have to be taken into consideration, the coolness factor is super cool alone. as alot of us here i use my trucks and would get alot out of a set, want to do my deuce first, i want the air lockers out there for the deuce, someone here, was in contact with me and i may have missed my chance, hoping though, GREAT to see the 900 going so well, it is truly an incredible truck!! ALL the BEST!!!!!...Randy

hot rod deuce

Im very familar with detroits in trucks. Our W900 lowboy tractor has them. As do a few of our dump trucks. The KW dealer gets trucks with busted axles all the time from them. Mosty when people add power around a turn. They only lock up with power on, they key is to coast around a turn. The only hard part is low speed turns when you have to add the power to move and that these things do not have a center diff.

The whole key here is the fact that they were supposed to be in there. I just want what I was told I was getting. I have open centers I could easily have swaped in if I planned on highway work. I have never had one of these trucks so I want to have my options open.

When I get the brakes so they actually work and the bolts tight the last guy forgot I will get it out on the road. Then i will know more what the truck will be used for.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks to everyone who offered help. I ended up getting a set of diffs complete with Detroit lockers from Dave at Eastern. He yanked them from some USMC axles. They are on a pallet and should go out tomorrow.

Thanks Dave!

kc5mzd

Do me a favor. When you get the lockers re-try your test. I bet with the drive shaft locked and all the wheels off the ground the wheels will still spin opposite directions. Just a guess but I think the key is to let the drive shaft spin with one wheel on the ground and the other free. I think this would simulate the condition that causes the locker to lock. Just a guess but I am curious...

DMgunn

:roll:....the reason an open diff spins the tires opposite directions is because of the spider gears and the side gears - neither of which a Detroit has. A Detroit is in essence a slip-clutch - it is either engaged, or it is disengaged.

Please explain how splined surfaces, engaged or otherwise, can reverse the rotation of force applied to them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For anyone wanting a real good explanation of how the Detroit works, or anything else for that matter, go to the resource section and download TM 9-8000 Principles of Automotive something or another. It's BIG but worth having.

kc5mzd

I am assuming that for 2 shafts to meet at a 90-degree angle you would have to have some kind of gearing. I am curious - that means I don't know but want to. I am going to download the tm 9-8000 and see what it says. I did a google search to see what I could find on how the gears are setup. There are several types of Detroit Lockers each having a different type of gear / clutch setup.

hot rod deuce

its a detroit brand, no-spin. its like two face splines with a helix on a spring. when one tire wants to go faster the face spline rides up the helix, thus dis engaging it from driving at all and letting it go FASTER.

That is why when you have them in a pick up or car they always push to the ouside of a curve, the out side tire is unlocked and has no power to it. its kind of like those cheap go carts that only drive one tire, or a pedal tractor.

They work very nice if you put one in just one axle of a tandem. Most people put them in the rear tandem only for some reason.

DMgunn

If there is one on the market, or coming soon, I will be towards the head of the line - a 5-ton selectable locker (air, electric - I don't care) would be just the thing for the front - but I could live with Detroits in the rear.

TaylorTradingCo

I just discovered today that I have eight 5-ton axles with the Detroit lockers in them. They are removed from the trucks and ready to be sold! They came off of USMC M-817 dump trucks.

If anyone needs some, let me know. I will take $500 each for the Detroit lockers. The whole axles are available as well as driveshafts, trannys and motors.

Derek Taylor

I seem to remember Dave P mentioning something about his firetruck having rockwells with selectable lockers. Or maybe my mind is just goin.

yes my fire truck has 5 ton Rockwell's with air lockers in all 3 and a power divider on the tandems!

this is why the torch cart is parked out there next to this truck.
the next time i have a weak moment it will get the ax.

the truck that gets these axles will be able to get really stuck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks