• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton dump hydraulic pump problem

horsewings

Hello I have a 1952 REO 5 ton dump truck and am looking for some info on hydraulic pump rebuild. the shafts and bushings appear to have close tolerances and it produces lots of lift under load somehow high pressure is getting at the shaft seal and blowing it, Any info on this situation is greatly appreciated. thanks Clay

ShawnIfert

It sound like a Gear pump. When they wear out you have to replace it. Take it to a Hydraulics shop and have them help you find a replacement. The good thing about Hydraulic pump that have not changed much over the years at all!! They my be able to repair it. I would replace it.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried cleaning the pump up really well, looking for an ID tag or any identifying markings? Be careful though a lot of times they are very easy to obliterate.

M925A2 with dump hoist

ShawnIfert

A hydraulic pump is a just an off the shelf item. The Hyd pumps are all SAE shaft size and mounting. You just need the correct GPM. Just Google a hydraulics shop. It is most likely a Vickers hyd pump. It should be blue under the green paint. There is nothing special about the pump. My M51 had a Vickers.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can find the model number on it, you'll be able to find out everything you need on the Internet. No middle man necessary!

M925A2 with dump hoist

horsewings

thanks it has 15162 and a backwards D joined to an F stamped into it did get some green scraped off it in two places one was yellow underneath and the other orange been doing lots of googleing i think i just need the proper seal which appears to be a mechanical shaft seal the unit itself seems nice and tight good teeth etc Clay

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a casting number. This is what my tag looks like.

Was completely smooth before I started removing layers of paint.

M925A2 with dump hoist

horsewings

thanks did you have yours apart? now i can see that the roller bearings that house the end shafts have high pressure oil keeping them lubed but this oil can go right through into the shaft seal thus blowing it out the shaft seal i see is lubricated by a channel through the pressure producing gears shaft. i see on a site called insane hydraulics that the roller bearings in a gear pump should have a ring seal on them so i will look for a sealed bearing that can stand up to this job. had a hydraulic shop open it up put the seal in that blew and not see that the pressure would go through the big ball bearings. im located way out in the bush on a ranch in northern bc so cant get to any hydraulic shops plus i just gotta know everything about this motor thanks Clay

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I just needed to find the specs for my pump.
Yes, it's going to be your internal high pressure seal.
Pumps usually have a typical, low pressure grease seal on the outside, It's only purpose is to keep dirt out.
I've never had any luck with hydraulic shops, except for spending money on not fixing my problems.
If you replace the high pressure seal and it fails, you're pump is likely worn and needs replaced, as Shawnlfert said.
The Vickers model number on mine gave me all the info needed, (frame size, gpm, shaft type, port type and locations) so hopefully you can find the correct numbers on yours...

M925A2 with dump hoist

horsewings

well i sent pics of the inards of it to the hydraulic shop along with that mechanical seal they show on oshgosh the fellow tells me it looks to him that this seal can take the pressure and that the pump is designed that way. would still like to talk to someone with actual rebuild on this particular model experience but figure ill order it and put it in and hope thanks alot you guys Clay

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks