• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton dumper I rescued from scrapper

mightyhammer

Just happened on this one by chance... Had to trade my 2 50s M211 Whitenburg civialian farm conversions and a gun for.
Needs a head gasket and some other small things...will post as she progresses.
I have six tires for single conversion but only 5 older military 2 piece rims/wheels...Any help on that one would be appreciated! Thanks, COOP

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck was due to be scrapped??? That truck is very nice...way above a truck that gets scrapped. Nice save...

mightyhammer

Would be glad to tell the story some day. Believe me I got a few! I finally got my dumper, now the pinnacle of my collecting is gonna' be a wrecker.... Mind you fellas, I use these rigs for work and work they do! Need the wrecker for off road recovery ops. Lot of equipment gets stuck out in the woods 'round here!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
westfolk said:
I was just told of a whole lot of 800 and 900 series trucks that came out of Ft. Knox that got melted. Was told that more than one was driven to its death.
I'll gladly pay scrap prices for any 900 series that could be driven in or that's even close to driving condition!!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen too much good stuff go into the furnace at work.

I really have a Moral dilemma working there...

Good thing I can buy stuff out of the yard for $.08 a pound! But I can't save it all, the Mexican cutters get there before I do 90% of the time. :cry:

Great save by the way!

BillIdaho

WELCOME, fellow Idahoan. You could probably get ANYTHING you need for that at Idaho Motor Pool (Google it). Alex is a good guy, tons of knowledge and tons of parts.

kcimb

RE: WRECKER ON GSA

I need a 5 ton for future purchases..to tow them around. Somebody ought to buy a 5 ton cargo, fix it up, and sell it back to me at a later date :D .

Could a 5 ton handle a 14 ton tracked APC?

mightyhammer

RE: M211

I also have a bridge truck m139 with the 602c.i. Continental gas engine in it, but don't have any pix handy at the moment. I am planning to drive it here from Dayton, NV. It is benig stored at Jon Bircheff's surplus place there. The truck runs well, just trying to come up with the time and fuel money to get her back home.....

rtjraleigh

Banned
nice save also. i like the one that u know nothing about and are heading for scrap. it makes finding out the history more challenging. rob

JeepMan

westfolk said:
BKubu said:
That truck was due to be scrapped??? That truck is very nice...way above a truck that gets scrapped. Nice save...
Now, I only scrap them after I strip all that is useful on them.

However, I know of many a truck that was driven in, shut off, then picked on with the clamshell and thrown in to the pile with everything else.

I was just told of a whole lot of 800 and 900 series trucks that came out of Ft. Knox that got melted. Was told that more than one was driven to its death.

Nice M51.
Well, if you think about it, these trucks are not suited for the everyday homeowner. "Honey", says the wife, "I'm gonna take the 5-ton down to the market for a gallon of milk". "Okay sweetheart, don't forget to pick up some WD-40 for the shop".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks