• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton engine question ?

Bfoulk

The 5 ton trucks with 6.44 ratio non air brakes would the big Cummins 300 or 400 be to much for the rearend?

I believe 2.5 ton rearend are 6.72 ratio would the Cummins be to much?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axles can take the power but getting it there is a different question. The transmission on the M809 would be your weakest link. Plenty of people have swapped in Cummins 290s easily. Getting up into the 300's+ requires reworking engine mounts and other modifications not to mention a 400 BC would smoke that transmission if you weren't careful.

Bfoulk

The axles can take the power but getting it there is a different question. The transmission on the M809 would be your weakest link. Plenty of people have swapped in Cummins 290s easily. Getting up into the 300's+ requires reworking engine mounts and other modifications not to mention a 400 BC would smoke that transmission if you weren't careful.
I would use the transmission that come with the engine that I buy not the stock one that came in the military truck.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5 ton trucks with 6.44 ratio non air brakes would the big Cummins 300 or 400 be to much for the rearend?

I believe 2.5 ton rearend are 6.72 ratio would the Cummins be to much?
I think this really depends on what your intentions are with the truck? The 5 ton should be fine unless you’re going to bob, race, or pull with it.

A 2.5 ton “maybe” for an empty cruiser, driven cautiously. Which for me is impossible in a overpowered, “lightweight” vehicle.

Bfoulk

I think this really depends on what your intentions are with the truck? The 5 ton should be fine unless you’re going to bob, race, or pull with it.

A 2.5 ton “maybe” for an empty cruiser, driven cautiously. Which for me is impossible in a overpowered, “lightweight” vehicle.
6x6 just a cruiser

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got to thinking, an 855 is going to be heavy for a deuce front axle, with winch would be no way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks