• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton engine start need help at a lost

Brandonw01

1983 m93 5ton what is this box Iv replaced the relays and still turn the switch over and nothing I’m new to these trucks and lost what to do next some help would greatly be appreciated bout to get disheartened with the truck n give up

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We can help you don't give up.

Pictures: Press "go advanced" then press "manage attachments" then press "add files" then press "select files", pick your picture from your device, then press "upload files".

Do you have two hot batteries connected in series? Do your lights work? What happens when you switch on "battery"? What happens when you turn on the ignition?

sandcobra164

The relay box you replaced is likely the PCB or protective control box located on the driver's side firewall with a huge cannon plug connected to the bottom. Let's go backwards just a bit and start with your batteries. In a 1983 M939 series truck they are likely located under the passenger side seat. Open the passenger side door, look for a 1/2" wide latch on the side of the seat bottom, unlatch it and raise the seat. There is a prop rod that you can pull out from under the seat and stick into a hole in the passenger side cab corner. Use a voltmeter to confirm that the batteries are good. Measure them individually, 12.8 or above is ideal for an automotive type battery, 12.6 is acceptable and 12.2 and below indicates they need to be charged and re-tested. Even with weak batteries, the voltage gauge should indicate something when the top switch to the right of the steering wheel is turned to "on". Let's start with verifying battery voltage at the batteries and we'll go from there. These trucks have a fairly simple electrical system which is great for people with my level of "expertise" which is not that great.

Brandonw01

thanx so much while the pics try to come from my phone to my internet to this computer im gonna start from the beginning alright iv always wanted a military truck finally traded around endup with this setup (will be in the pics) so he got there saying he doesnt know whats wrong with starting so from the box on the firewall he unscrewed a plug and crossed a couple of wires and it fired right up me not care cause wow i own my dream vehicle took it but me being me i wanna get in it and turn the switch and it fire up so i starte messing with the box see the hes replaced one of the solenoids but not the other so i go to work were im a diesel tech on civilian dump trucks and heavy equipment and we have a website to get to wiring diagrams but dont military stuff i grap a 24 volt solenoid i know is the same throw as this one cause i cross the part numbers i put it in and nothing one clicks and other doesnt power goes in and out no matter what i do i squezze terminals closer still no good if i had a wiring diagram i could do this is there a replacement for this box or a delete

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanx so much while the pics try to come from my phone to my internet to this computer im gonna start from the beginning alright iv always wanted a military truck finally traded around endup with this setup (will be in the pics) so he got there saying he doesnt know whats wrong with starting so from the box on the firewall he unscrewed a plug and crossed a couple of wires and it fired right up me not care cause wow i own my dream vehicle took it but me being me i wanna get in it and turn the switch and it fire up so i starte messing with the box see the hes replaced one of the solenoids but not the other so i go to work were im a diesel tech on civilian dump trucks and heavy equipment and we have a website to get to wiring diagrams but dont military stuff i grap a 24 volt solenoid i know is the same throw as this one cause i cross the part numbers i put it in and nothing one clicks and other doesnt power goes in and out no matter what i do i squezze terminals closer still no good if i had a wiring diagram i could do this is there a replacement for this box or a delete
Not sure if this is the right one for yours (post #21) but if not it might be somewhere in this thread.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Control-Box/page3&highlight=power+control+box

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did you replace the bottom solenoid or the top one? The bottom one is the power for the truck when you flip the switch. You can remove the bottom connector and jump the two large pins with a large wire. Screw the combat mode knob in on the fuel shut off solenoid and jump the starter. You will be able to move the truck that way. The bottom solenoid is an ST88 part number from Napa. You should have power on both big outer connectors with the key switch on.

Brandonw01

i replaced both upper and lower now on one of the resister looking wires broke can u replace it with just wire? gonna test batteries tomorrow gonna start at the power noticed when i cranked it idk if guage isnt working but alternator wasnt work so gonna check there also

Brandonw01

lol yea a blueheeler and its 4 wheel drive lol and nothing happens im gonna do some testing tomorrow and get it more narrowed down i really appreciate the input from all you guys wasnt for yall id had a 5 ton in the driveway i couldnt do nothing with

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It is IN THE SITE RULES DO NOT POST AS IF YOU ARE TEXTING , the run on sentences with NO punctuation, NO capitals, ect. makes it hard to read. This SITE is designed as a internet site, NOT a phone apt..

IDK = ?

Trans. has to be in NEUTRAL to start.

If you ARE about to give up because of a MINOR issue, I hate to see your reaction to major issues, WHY did you have to go into the PCB (protective control box), these older trucks (939 down) are EASY to trouble shoot the old fashion way, NO computers to deal with, just start at the batteries and work your though the truck till it powers up then starts, if turns over but no start, trouble shoot the fuel system and fuel shut off valve.

READ the TMs, you WILL be surprised what there is to learn in them.

Brandonw01

Way to keep people interested in keeping these trucks alive 73m819 simple mistake doesn’t mean jump down someone’s throat I bet your the life of the party��

pontiac62

It’s not that 73m819 doesn’t want to keep people interested in the green iron. Website does have rules to try and keep things orderly. So that people like me and you come to this site you can find information you need. Like anything else you got to try different search phrases till you get the information your looking for it. Can be hard at times.

Usually someone chimes in early on with the phrase “did you download the technical manual for your truck”(civilian world they are known as repair manual) or “have you read the operators manual for your truck”. This website has downloadable TM=technical manual.

Reading the manuals and researching your issue will help you to get to know the truck a lot better. There is a wealth of information on this site and a lot of people to help you out.

With the little time I’ve been reading different threads on here I’ve seen threads go in way left field from what the title start out as. You can pickup on who has read or used their manuals when they talk about the problem they are having.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Way to keep people interested in keeping these trucks alive 73m819 simple mistake doesn’t mean jump down someone’s throat I bet your the life of the party��
He has a point on the rules which I would guess you clicked accept without reading , which works on some sites but not SS , the rules were well thought out and the site has a great moderation staff that enforces them to keep this a great resource for MV's and not free for all site like pirate. As you can see people are more than willing to help ,

And on a side note you probably should add your state to your location ( yeah one of those pesky rules you agreed to when you signed up ) before one of the moderators has you add it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I CAN be if someone is a OBNOXIOUS DRUNK A$$ who thinks that they want everybody to KNOW that they ARE the LIFE OF the PARTY. other than that my EGO does NOT require a life of the party boost.

PS, Since I do NOT or WANT to text, I do NOT know the text talk code, nor the proper text talk PC correctness, and since I have NO plans to start texting in the near future or for that matter anytime, I have NO need or plans to learn the code OR text pc. so what does IDK mean, it is NOT in Webster's New World Dictionary?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks