• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton engine start need help at a lost

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Unfortunately Ron did not have WTF, IDK, LOL, and other text codes available for his school lessons on the cave drawings the teacher provided.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron,
IDK = I don't know. I'm not a text guy either. Some of my longer text are "OK", "Leaving now", "no".
Texting has degraded communication and writing skills. Hopefully the OP understands and revisits the sites rules and requirements. Repairing and troubleshooting these vehicles takes descent communications. The operators and repair documentation is essential to successfully diagnosing the fault(s). Broke down on the overpass? This site and it's members will go to great lengths to help. Parked in your driveway? Sit down and read a little. Guidance and tech support is still here. The fix is easy on these trucks.

P.S. I think Mt. Airy is in Tennessee.

Brandonw01

Mt airy is in nc I live in a town that y’all may know very well ever heard of Mayberry Andy griffinth show yea that’s my small town

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i replaced both upper and lower now on one of the resister looking wires broke can u replace it with just wire? gonna test batteries tomorrow gonna start at the power noticed when i cranked it idk if guage isnt working but alternator wasnt work so gonna check there also
The things that look like resistors are diodes, and you do not want to replace them with just wire. They are used to manage voltage spikes. Google "flyback diode" to learn more.

Diodes have a "direction" similar to a mechanical check valve, so they need to be installed in the correction direction. They have markings to identify the "in" and "out" ends.

When I made the diagram of the box in Post #21 of the "ever see inside" thread, I did not think to include the diodes. I no longer have the hardcopy of the hand-drawn diagram that shows the relays, so it would be a matter of printing it out, modifying it and scanning. The one box I fixed is long gone (sold the truck) and it is not real convenient to dig into another one. Anybody have one such you could "reverse engineer" the diodes and we could update the diagram? That would actually be helpful to me at this point, as I have a box all taken apart and I need to figure out the diode direction to put it back together again...the jumper is so easy, never intended to use it so long.

Thanks, Chris

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brandonw01, Ron...73m819... is not trying to be harsh, but he is correct. Please try to use punctuation, caps, etc. It makes it a whole bunch easier on the eyes and for us older folks to comprehend. I get it though, if I use my phone to post here, things come out all misspelled, caps in the wrong place or not at all and punctuation there or not.

On another note, if the truck is stuck in a place in the way or far from your work spot, turn the knob in on the fuel pump solenoid and jump the starter. You can move the truck out of the way or to your shop with no issues, as stated somewhere else, make sure it is in neutral before you do that.

Good luck and keep us up to speed on wahappened

Brandonw01

I’m sorry bout grammar i will try and work on that. I’m gonna try over this weekend and try to do some diagnoseing I will get back with you asap.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m sorry bout grammar i will try and work on that. I’m gonna try over this weekend and try to do some diagnoseing I will get back with you asap.
Brandon, be very careful if you attempt to jumper the truck as discussed in the other thread. Make sure the truck is in neutral with the brake set, chock the wheels.

Your part of the country is the best in my opinion. I had a roommate years ago from Dobson and I got to know the area pretty well. I fly into Roanoke occasionally and the region is beautiful from the air.

Brandonw01

Thanks brother!!! Ever in this area give me a hollar be nice to meet people that have an addiction like I do with military surplus

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Radio Shack normally has a good selection of diodes and resistors. Take the off unit with you. The color coding needs to be matched.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately radio shack closed around here there is none
Yep, bad scene. They were very handy place to source electrical components. Try a Google search for "diodes" they are available. Get it shipped. Make sure you match the color coding.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you need to use the truck however you can use one of the upper diodes off the top solenoid in place on the lower one. Just remove the power feed to the top solenoid. This will allow the truck to run and operate but minus the ABS. Eliminating power to the solenoid denies the control module any power so it can short out while trying to constantly come on or any backfeed in power from the missing diode.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simp, I am surprised that you haven't come up with some sort of fix/new technology for the PCB, kinda like antennaclimber did with the glow plug card on CUCV trucks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simp, I am surprised that you haven't come up with some sort of fix/new technology for the PCB, kinda like antennaclimber did with the glow plug card on CUCV trucks
My fix was to take it off and throw it away. I have a brushless alternator and no ABS on my truck. So switch on, Power to the dash and fuel solenoid, and a direct wire to the starter from the starter button.

I have upgraded the solenoids in old boxes with cole harsee ones for some of my customers and they never have had any issues. Eventually they will all get rebuilt or replaced.

Soiuthern Automotive Sells the boxes brand new. They only ship them out once or twice a month though.