• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Engine Swap Question

m816

The brakes on a five ton work just fine. I have done a lot of brake jobs on the m series fiveton. From changing out the airpac's to master cylinders to new wheel cylinders. I've put a lot of miles on the m54,m52 w/trailes and all the wrecker series. Those brakes are rugged in all the models. However, that being said, they must be properly adjusted and if they have been sitting like in a Guard motorpool or a drmo yard for years at a time, you have to do the dirty work of taking them all apart and cleaning everything. Maybe replace a few lines too. but they will give years of service. Some people who are affraid or ill equiped to remove the wheels and do the proper maintaince, will say the brakes are crap. If you start with crap and don't do anything to make it better, then you are gonna still have crap.

bearboley

I always thought a IH DT-466 would be a good multifuel replacement, There Cheap,SAE bell housing, The clutch would be easy, chances are your old clutch would work if not what is it like a 14" button a Big truck transmission supply shop should find you what you need to work. You can get 250 hp outa one and they are physically the same size. Just my 2 cents

MASIC

Would a cummins big cam 6 fit inside of my M813? I understand the turbo and jakes will cause some modifications but what I'm asking is would the engine just drop right in and bolt up to the tranny? What are the major mods?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
don't see why not, still a 855 block, may have to change the front motor mount

R Racing

The big cam 400 will fit in were a NTC 250 small cam came out. The 400 has to clearanced in the front for a larger crank pulley if I remember right. and the hood hits the cross over pipe from the turbo. There was a post on here were someone did 1. Thats the route Id go. :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks