• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton expandable van, many questions

byrdman1312

Where can I find a video, on line, that shows how to expand it? Or other good instructions?

I haven't had time to get a TM, can I down load one on SS?

How much gen set do I need to run it? Will a 5 KW work?

Many thanks, in advance!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea they can be fun to open. Did you find the outer panel locking tool? The military ratchett/ sockett is nice to have but any big ratchett and sockett will work.

Al Harvey

Byrdman you didn't happen to be driving down Hwy 79 toward Dover yesterday in the Expandable van did you? I saw one from the shop going by.

1StumpJumper

I expand and close mine by mysef ALL of the time. Just be prepared to go in and out of the truck about a dozen times during the process.

I have an adjustable wrench for the side locks, and a socket with a 1/2" drive breaker bar to crank the sides in and out.

As stated above, there are instructions on the rear doors of mine as well.

PM me for contact info if you would like a walk through.

Sephirothq

How can you get the floor up by yourself? I couldn't do it and i needed my dad to help. The two of us barely were enough. All the pulleys are greased so i don't see that as an issue.

dburt

Always wondered why it was not designed and set up like a slideout on an RV? Perhaps it was 'cutting edge' technology when it was designed. If I had more youth, ambition, funds and a bigger shop I would like to modify an expando van to operate like a modern RV slideout with electric over hydraulic actuation. The slide outs would have the walls, floor, ceiling etc all one part of the slide out unit. Easy, quick set up at the touch of a button. And- have a manually operated hydraulic pump in case of electrical issues so you could get the rooms out or back in as needed. :wink:

1StumpJumper

How can you get the floor up by yourself? I couldn't do it and i needed my dad to help. The two of us barely were enough. All the pulleys are greased so i don't see that as an issue.
When it is time to close the inner walls, I get under the floor/ inner wall, then push up with my shoulders. Once the sections are about 45 degrees I play spider man and climb up and finish closing and latching while standing on the outer wall. It is pretty easy to align them once you are up there.

quickfarms

Always wondered why it was not designed and set up like a slideout on an RV? Perhaps it was 'cutting edge' technology when it was designed. If I had more youth, ambition, funds and a bigger shop I would like to modify an expando van to operate like a modern RV slideout with electric over hydraulic actuation. The slide outs would have the walls, floor, ceiling etc all one part of the slide out unit. Easy, quick set up at the touch of a button. And- have a manually operated hydraulic pump in case of electrical issues so you could get the rooms out or back in as needed. :wink:
The military wanted a flat floor. With a rv slide out this is not easy to accomplish.

byrdman1312

Well, we did it! The instruction placard was inside the rear door, just where y'all said it would be. A bit confusing but the first four or five got us started. The rest we just kinda figured out.
The small wrench was there to unlock the four bolts on the sides. The wrench to crank out the sides was gone. We used a 1 inch socket with ratchet. Once we got the sides cranked out the rest was pretty simple.
Someone asked what model truck it is, M934, delivery date 10/83.
And yes AL, that was me. About lunch time, on 05 NOV. I guess it was, woodland camo painted? We've got to go back and pick up another. The other one is M934 with super single tires and tire inflation system. The air system was leaking from a valve under the dash, couldn't get it to stop. We air up the tires with a compressor but the air wouldn't stay. We'll go back later and get it, once we get problem worked out. Anybody got any ideas how to fix it? I figure that valve needs to be replaced.
Thanks to all that helped, the info was enough to get us started.

Al Harvey

And yes AL, that was me. About lunch time, on 05 NOV. I guess it was, woodland camo painted? We've got to go back and pick up another. The other one is M934 with super single tires and tire inflation system. The air system was leaking from a valve under the dash, couldn't get it to stop. We air up the tires with a compressor but the air wouldn't stay. We'll go back later and get it, once we get problem worked out. Anybody got any ideas how to fix it? I figure that valve needs to be replaced.
Thanks to all that helped, the info was enough to get us started.
Where you picking the other one up from? If you need any help while on 79 or near Dover just let me know. I'm located just before the ballpark across from the dollar store. Worse case scenario could you unhook the CTIS at the wheels and put a cap on the line then air them up with a compressor? I'm seriously thinking about getting an expandable van in the future so if you decided to part with one keep me in mind. ;-)

byrdman1312

Where you picking the other one up from? If you need any help while on 79 or near Dover just let me know. I'm located just before the ballpark across from the dollar store. Worse case scenario could you unhook the CTIS at the wheels and put a cap on the line then air them up with a compressor? I'm seriously thinking about getting an expandable van in the future so if you decided to part with one keep me in mind. ;-)
Are you east of Dover? I grew up between Big Rock and Indian Mound. We will be getting the other one from Campbell. I've got lots of relatives around. But, the offer of help is very kind. You never know when you need to call in a marker! I need to learn how to unhook the system. You never know when that problem will arise again. I'll keep you in mind!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks