• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton front axle gearing

drjconley

I was reading another thread and it was stated that the 5 ton trucks have an "overgeared" front end. Is the gearing on a 5 ton different from the front to the back, or is it the same? I always assumed it was the same.
Thanks, I was just interested.
Jim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Axles are geared the same. The transfer case has the front output geared a little off for the sprag.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transfer is geared such that the rear wheels have to slip a certain percentage before the automatic, sprag engaged front axle drive kicks in. As Recovery 4x4 said, the axle gearings are all the same.
Regards Marti

KsM715

I remember reading in a thread somewhere that you shouldnt let the truck roll backwards from a stop (like stopped at a stop sign on a hill) with a sprag gear box. Anyone know what thats about?

BEASTMASTER

oh yeh. you will hear the loudest and scariest noise. and feel it in the seat of you're pants....you will get out and look under the truck for the pieces.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks