• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton front bumper

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anybody know what a front bumper for the 5 tons, weighs?

Does anybody know if reproductions are available?

The -20P shows, 11 PAOZZ 19207 7376203 BUMPER,VEHICULAR

Has anybody fabbed a nice front bumper, and it still looks "original"?

I did measure a 2.5 ton front bumper and they are close, but will not be a good choice for me.

My M819 front bumper is damaged beyond repair, I'm considering my options.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does that mean there is a VW embedded in it? We need pictures.
Is it worst looking than mine? Wayne

The damage was there when I purchased the M819.

Yesterday, I replaced the front winch. My truck had had a serious impact in between the front frame rails. My roller fair-lead was busted off.

When I dropped a different winch in place, it wouldn't fit! I had to do some heating and trimming on my front bumper, to get it in place.

I considered cutting the center section of my bumper out, and replacing it with a deuce center section, but it seemed like a lot of work. I figured, if I was gonna do that much work, I might make a nice custom bumper(was hoping someone Else's fab work might inspire me).

I'll probably just find a good stock front bumper.

I appreciate the offers, and comments.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Timtrucks has a parts 5 ton, maybe it has a good bumper. If so I could take it to GA. There's also CSI in GA. They have a ton of them.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clinto, I bow to your Superior Search Skills!

I like that bumper, but I don't want to weld one on. Hmm

Looking at those pictures reminded me of something else i been wondering about lately. I now have a few 5 ton front winches. One of them has a cast iron or forged steel roller fair lead setup, the others are cast aluminum.

Does anybody know why there are both steel and aluminum?(fair lead brackets)

jesusgatos

I like that bumper, but I don't want to weld one on.
No reason why you couldn't build a custom bumper and bolt it on, just like the stock one.

I'm going to cannibalize my stock front bumper. Chop it up and reshape it. I don't really like how far the front bumper sticks out with the winch extensions, especially outside of the framerails. So I'm going to start by pie-cutting the bumper at the bends and pull those wings back towards the front fenders. Would start over with boxed tubing, but it would have to stick out further, unless I cut the brackets shorter. Might even end up designing a whole new bumper though; something that I could have laser-cut and formed (like this). Just depends on what else I've got going on, and whether or not I'll be able to make something out of the stock bumper that I'll be happy with. Definitely going full-custom in the rear though. Want to build a wrap-around bumper to protect the rear corners of my M109 box.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is alot of work/time involved in fabbing and painting, if I go custom.

To duplicate the original, a piece of frame rail C channel would be a good start, then cut and bend it, then there is that cut-out in the bottom(for the cable). Add to that cleaning, priming and painting and wow, there goes a week.

I think I would be happy with a stock bumper.

still thinkin....

jesusgatos

Well, I don't know what you're looking for. Stock is stupid-simple, and building a basic custom bumper like the one posted is an easy 1-day project if you're halfway handy in a shop. But if you want to go full custom, and do something a little bit nicer/tricker, I could help you design something that you could have a local sheetmetal shop cut/form for you. You've got options...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks