• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton front spring weight rating

I am look into bobbing my m925a1 and am curious as to what the front springs on a 5 ton are rated to carry. I can get a set from an old 5 ton my brothers friend has. My plan is to put a 5 yd dump on the back to use on our farm. Will the springs be heavy enough or should I try to mount the rear springs off the truck I'm getting the dump from? Which is an old gmc 7500 single axle dump. I'm Trying to do this the quickest way possible because I really need it like yesterday. Was also considering having a spring shop add few more Leafs to the 5 ton front packs that we would be mounted on the rear to help with load carrying if that's possible.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you would be much happier if you simply shorten the rear portion of the frame behind the axles, so your dump bed is centered just forward of the trunnion.

You'd be better off with overkill on the springs, than not enough.

On a deuce, I cut off about 16-18" of the frame(back end) and placed a 9' long dump bed on it. It works great. I filled in the space between the bed and cab with a tire rack and toolbox(off a tractor). works great and I know the spring capacity.

Ground displacement with all 8 rear tires is much better for off road and soft terrain also.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you decide to use 5 ton front springs on a single rear axle, look at the unloaded vs. loaded weight on the original data plate (or look in the -10 TM). Most of the military trucks I have seen, the front axle weight doesn't change much with a load. I would use the loaded axle weight number as the springs load rating. With that said, if you can use the springs that came on the dump truck then do that. Otherwise, I would either have a spring shop add leaves to the springs you intend to use or consider leaving the rear suspension as is, shorten the frame and add the dump bed.

chess

well i use them with over 16 tons of water plus the tank and plumbing i make my 900s into water trucks. the springs hardly ever give me problem. but when I'm going a good speed and hit a bump. all i hear is a snap and the main leaf is broke. but it takes a lot to break them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks