• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton gasser parts

FrankUSMC

I was at a friends place the other day, and he showed me several unopened boxes of 5 ton (gas engine) carbuators. They were all packaged for over seas shipment. He told me to make him an offer for them. If I get them, I will offer them here first, how many of you have a 5 ton gasser? and would $50 each for a NOS carbuator be to much?
One of the few, Frank

vtdeucedriver

would depend if they were the old Hollys or the newer carter carbs......................not a bad price. may take you a while to sell them though..........there like rattlesnakes in TX but not a lot of demand.

FrankUSMC

Thanks Jeff. If I can get them very low, that price will come down, because I also do not need them taking up shelf space here.
One of the few, Frank

Towman2277

Keep me in mind Frank if you get them, i'd like to purchase one from you to experiment with, and a second to rebuild as a spare, so I'd like a total of two. Thanks, Steve

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The Zenith carb for a R6602 is bigger than the engine in some of the rice burners on the road today.

The Holley for the R6602 looks like the one on the deuce - but I think it is actually bigger, I'd have to look in the ORD 9 to be sure.

HTH,
DD

area52

If they are the Zenith, or one of them is, I would like to buy it or one. PM me or post up here. Heck even if they are Holleys you can't go wrong at $50, I would buy one for that price.

RF202

Frank,
If there is a Zenith in the bunch, put me down for one.
Thanks, John

Towman2277,
I have an extra Holley, takeoff, if you just want one to experiment with, I'll give it to you. I'm just across the woods, in Georgia. Let me know.

2deuce

I would like one too. From this thread I take it that the Zenith is the one of choice. Can anyone explain why this is so? I also read somewhere that they look alot different. Are they a straight swap? I have a Zenith on mine. Thanks

vtdeucedriver

I am told that the Zenith was a re-design replacement for the Holly. Supposed to be better fuel milage and a bit more power. I still have the holly on my m62. Have a spare and a new Zenith in the box.............think its a direct replacement.

FrankUSMC

I did not get a chance to go up to see my friend today. I did call him and told him that I would take some of the carbs off him. He thinks they are all Zeniths. I will keep every one posted.
One of the few, Frank

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 2cents:
There are at least 3 different carbs for the five ton. There is the Zenith (cast iron), and two versions of the Holley (one aluminum and one cast iron) The cast iron versions are roughly 25 lbs each. Yikes!! I have all three and can try to answer any specific questions if you have any.

Just for reference: Saturn Surplus has the Zenith for $125.
Look on this page: http://www.saturnsurplus.com/m35/m35-2.htm
It is NOS. Here is the pic from their website: http://saturnsurplus.com/m35/5tcarb.jpg

I have installed the Zenith. It does bolt directly to the intake manifold - same as the Holley - six studs. Be careful those intakes are brittle!! - and the attachment to the air cleaner is the same.
However, the lines for the governor, fuel line, and accelerator rod are in different places, . . . the necessary fittings to adapt are included with the Saturn kit, but I don't believe any of it is too difficult to fabricate or find at the hardware store.

Please note: it appears that you no longer can use the engine stop cable with the zenith. The zenith has no degasser valve or no provisions to hook it up? I guess you just have to kill the spark with the ignition switch or pull out the choke to shut it down? :roll:

I can't comment on the mileage differences - I haven't tried to accurately measure mine. Besides, there are so many other variables that affect the mileage, it would be unfair to say that one carb is better than the other without a comparison on the same truck (changing only the carb, and nothing else)
As I said before, let me know if you need any specific pictures or dimensions.

OSO

Did you ever get those carbs? Please PM me . If any are left I might get one . Shipping out to 98223 Thanks OSO 4/6/09

BEASTMASTER

i'd be interested in two of those carbs. the zeniths were supposed to give you 6 to7 mpg compared to the holly 4 to 5 mpg but i don't see it .you go anywhere, and you'd think you have a hole in the gas tank. yeh it's that bad. but it only hurts when gas was up at $ 3.90 a gal. it's a hobby and it's fun. end of story.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks