• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton GI with cummins 250 electrical issue!

Drilling1

I have a 5 ton GI, no clue the type other than its 6x6 5 ton with cummins 250 engine. I use this for work and the other day smoke started coming out of dash, truck still runs fine but can't get any of the lights to work(they don't seem to be getting any power) have looked over everything I can think of and haven't had any luck, any help Greatly appreciated. ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:

212sparky

there should be a data plate in the truck. have you looked under the dash at the wiring? A cable my have chafed and shorted letting the magic smoke come out.

GHall

They say using the word "help" in the title is reserved for emergency and roadside situations only.. Just trying to help out. As for wiring, pull the dash and look at things. Before unhooking wires, be sure to label them and take lots of pictures for reference.. Good luck

Drilling1

Sorry, haven't been on the forum very often, the guys have looked over everything but still can't find the issue, didn't know if there was something out of the ordinary (other than burnt wire, etc) I'm missing.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is a 5ton GI?

we need a little more info I order to help out

Drilling1

I'm not sure if it's the m900 series or m800 series military cargo truck, it's in Another state with the boys at the job site, I'm about 4 hours away from them and once they get to job no signal to talk to them to find out which it is, I guess I will have to have them look tomorrow and then get back on here later.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have a long skinny hood or a big boxy tilt hood? Manual transmission or automatic?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it have a 3 lever light switch, or is it pushbutton?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We may as well ask if it is green or tan or camo. We can't even say which manual to look at without a truck model number.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully this truck is lowboyed to the job sites , since you don't even know what it is , It is pretty safe to say it hasn't had the required maintence or a D.O.T. inspection.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, the guys. The same group that doesn't know what the heck they are driving.......

KsM715

It sounds like the OP is the owner and his employees have the truck at a job site and that's where the problem started. They called the boss and he got on here looking for help.

no matter what it is its going to take someone getting up under the dash looking for burnt/chaffed wires. Unless as DH pointed out it has a push button light switch, then that may be the problem.

Edit: from looking up the OP's other posts it is probably a 809 or earlier 5ton. ( he asked about upgrading from air assist hydr. brakes to straight air brakes)

Last edited:

Drilling1

Sorry I haven't been more thorough, I'm just office manager (female) of a company, the boss called and was in another state along with the other workers working and was telling me about the problem, this place is the first I thought of to get help with the problem to help him figure it out, I didn't realize there were so many differences in 5 ton trucks with a cummins engine, I expected the multifuel engines to be different but figured the ones with cummins engines would practically be about the same as far as electrical issues went. He has 2 different 5 tons and 2 deuce and halfs, so wasn't sure which series this one was. I told the workers to check for me, so I could get help figuring this out, as for now just out of commission. As soon as I get the appropriate info, will post. Thanks to those who have put in info to try to help.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That explains it, you're the smarter gender. ;-)

Now on to the problem. We have to wait until we get someone on the crew to get pics or a visual of the truck and possibly the damage in order to help you. It's probably and 809 series.

emr

Ok I'll bite, You a female with the title "" Drilling 1 ? LOL... Just sayin :) Sorry couldn't resist :) Just have em take a pic with there phone and post it....

Drilling1

Haha.

Haha, well hadn't really thought much about it, am in the drilling industry, hence the name. Figured if the boss man did get on here he wouldn't want a girlie cute name. He usually leaves the computer stuff to me since he's computer illiterate, but never know. The crew just informed me "they forgot" or, "didn't get message till headed back home", Grrr. Anyways, probably be Monday before I can get anymore info now, they will have to make due with the deuce, will post soon as I get.

Ok I'll bite, You a female with the title "" Drilling 1 ? LOL... Just sayin :) Sorry couldn't resist :) Just have em take a pic with there phone and post it....

Last edited:

Drilling1

Finally!! This truck is an m817. Now can anyone help? The crew has looked for chaffed wires, put new 3 way switch in (I think that's what it was called), still no luck with any lights working. The guy that way driving when it tore up said smoke was coming from dash. Truck runs fine just no lights.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks