• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton Goodyear and Michelin tires, 14.00R20, how many miles do they last, empty M923

61sleepercab

I believe actual life of tires would depend on speed traveled, roughness of road surface, outside temperature, and driving habits like acceleration and braking. I have an almost new set of these tires on my M925 and they seem to be a quality tire . I have put 500 highway miles in recover on interstate and local roads and have not noticed any visible tread wear. I figure dry rot would get the tires before a empty truck would wear them out. Some one who has truck fleet experience could give you a ball park figure.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have put about 3000 miles on the M927 and the front tires are showing a lot of wear. I figure there is about 2000 miles left before they need replacing if the wear trend continues. I don't know if balancing would help but they have a lot of noise at highway speeds.

idahosinker

Thanks very much for the feed back. One set has about 1500 miles and the other truck about 1000 mile. Both drove 700 miles in recovery.
I bought some new Michelin 395/85R20 that I have not picked up yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

davo727

This deal has me wondering about just on the front , how close in height we could get with a 24.5 budd wheel and a wide dump truck- cement truck float type tire.......?? and just leave the 14r20s on the back

emr

Rotate them a lot, speed has the largest affect. So many guys are worried about going fast. wait till its time to replace them after only a couple of thousand miles, More than safety, that keeps me slow. Wide gentle turns, never turn the wheel if you are not in motion, these things help tire wear and front end part wear.

emr

Oh I will add from what the guys told me that put more miles on these trucks in Iraq than any other and have the citations to prove it. they go like this, the older experienced truckers always grabbed the trucks with duels when ever possible they last more than twice as long as singles they said , Since they were pounding the roads they said the singles just tore up. they also said they had to replace there own tires allot, that's why they liked the duels, instead of changing tires they could go rest. loaded " aired down " singles tended to have severe side wall failure also. just an fyi . Speed more than anything causes faster wear.

acme66

This deal has me wondering about just on the front , how close in height we could get with a 24.5 budd wheel and a wide dump truck- cement truck float type tire.......?? and just leave the 14r20s on the back
I have also wondered that as I could do just fine with a far aggressive tire but I never perused the issue. I imagine a quality heavy machine shop could cut a new hub into a rim just fine.